What to look for in my first Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Mechineer84
Scoobytruck Lurker

What to look for in my first Baja?

Post by Mechineer84 »

Hey all! I'm thinking about joining the Baja community. I currently have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler that doesn't really work with a 2 yr old and another on the way. A dealer not far from me has this Baja which has caught my eye: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/ga ... 01740.html
I have to sell the Jeep first, but that gives me some time to collect my thoughts and know what to look for. What kind of Baja specific things should I look out for? I'm a good mechanic who has done all of the modifications to my Jeep. Feel free to get technical.

Also, how well do rear-facing car seats fit in the Baja? Another thing that may or may not happen, how well does the Baja do in sand? I would consider taking it to the Outer Banks every now and then to do some fishing, but I know of some spots I can go without driving in the sand also.

I love the Baja style and am really interested in getting one.
Thanks!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: What to look for in my first Baja?

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there! Checking out a Baja is just like checking out any other used car. Only thing to really look out for head gasket problems, as this engine is notorious for blowing them if not properly maintained, and rust. Surface rust is fine, but if the frame is starting to rot, you'll likely have some serious issues down the road.
As for the gaskets (you probably already all know this), check for any leaks around the heads, let the car warm up and make sure the thermostat doesn't go above the middle, turn on the heater and sniff for a syrup smell. If you get any of these- the head gaskets are on their last legs, with the exception of the syrup smell as a leaking heater core will do this too but goes away after a while.
Another thing to look out for since it's AWD, check if there's any play in the CV axles. If there is, the CV joint is likely shot and the axle will need to be replaced.
The exhaust is another thing that is now wearing out for all of us. Check if all 3 hangers on the muffler (2 on the end, one on the pipe) are still intact, and check the flanges if they're still good and haven't rotted out. You don't want this falling off or potentially going through the bed on your way to work.

I don't know anything about child seats in a Baja ('tis the single life), but the owners manual does have a whole section on installing one:
http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/2006_baj ... manual.pdf (see page 1-32 to 1-34), it's an 06 manual but everything is the same as the 05 except the alarm system.
Bajas do great in sand, hence the name!

Subaru actually did a lot of their promotional/advertisement material with them on the beach and even marketed the Baja prototype as a beach-bound vehicle.
subaru-stx-1456207-5235597.jpg
subaru-stx-1456207-5235597.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Check out this thread for some beach and offroad adventures: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=202
(some and images links are dead but they're over a decade old)

Now specifically to the 05 Sport you linked:
120k is around average mileage for these when they're up for sale and that's actually a good price. The front seat isn't torn- that's a rarity, but it looks like the rear seats look a little torn, but not really an issue. The bed is missing the hole plug for the spare tire release, again not really an issue but good luck finding a replacement if you really want to fix it. The seats are vinyl, not leather, and this came standard on all Bajas from 2004 onward. That "towing package" the seller has listed is just the optional trailer hitch assembly- no "towing package" drive train options were ever offered during the entire run. Every other feature the seller has listed is standard on all Baja models for the entire production run.
Overall, if there's no engine issues or drive train issues, this is a good price. Put aside an extra couple bucks for potential fixes the road though. For me, I had to replace both front axles, all 4 bearings, all 4 brake discs and pads, an interior door panel, all 4 speakers, and just recently the catback exhaust.

Sounds kinda daunting but bear in mind, the Baja is based on the Gen-2 Legacy platform (00-04), so all the parts for a 2.5L Legacy or Outback of those model years from the rear axle forward is 100% compatible, including aftermarket parts. Nearly everything on the Baja behind the rear axle is proprietary however. So long as you religiously follow the maintenance schedule, the engine should be fine. I'm going to hit 200,000mi by the end of this week on my 06 and I recently found an 03 Sport around here with ~312,000mi on the original engine and trans, so these things can last if you love 'em!
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I'll add, based on the experience of owning 5 Subarus now:
Be on the lookout for any evidence of head gasket sealers (Blue Devil, etc). There may be residue in or around the radiator fill area. Look d=for any signs of coolant or rust stains in the engine compartment. One thing I look for (bonus) on Subarus is the dark green Subaru coolant. This is one sign that things have been maintained properly. Ask about timing belt history (this can be a negotiating point) Automatic: make some tight circles (some have issues with the "coupling" between front and rear drive (many different kinds of Subies). Grunt or grind could show up - this isn't the end of the world, but it might be more than a bad CV joint. Manual trans: good tight shift movement (a U joint in th elinkage has "plastic" bushings that go bad with age (another negotiating point - not all that difficult to fix. Make sure air works good. I had 2 Subies with excessive compressor clutch gap. This causes A/C to cut out after a few minutes (shifter slop and A/C issue bought me a 1,000 price drop on mine).
RUST: Many Bajas started life in the New England area. Rust can hide under the plastic lower body panels. look good all under for signs of rust. Best of luck to you. Dennis
Mechineer84
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mechineer84 »

Wow! Thank you both so much!!! That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll definitely keep all that in mind when I go. Even if some of the stuff isn't bad I might be able to make them think it is. It's always better to know more than the dealer. I'll be sure to post if or when I get it. Still have to sell the Jeep but you guys have made me feel even better about looking at that one.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Actaully, having dark blue subaru coolant could just as well be a sign that it HASN'T been maintained and still has the original stuff in it topped off with who knows what. Remember the salespeople will tell you anything, unless there's a receipt in hand with the VIN on it, don't believe them.

I wouldn't get too crazy with it off-road. it has an open front and viscous center and rear diff. on soft stuff like sand or wet dirt, keep moving and try not to spin the tires. I've been stuck in my yard twice from having a tire spin, dig in, stop the car, then the opposite corner does and the next thing I know the body's resting on the ground with two wheels on the bump stops and two at full droop with no weight, spinning.

As for child seats, they fit fine as long as you aren't a sasquatch like me (6-4, 275. seat all the way back and leaned back). The bajas have LATCH and upper anchors for the two rear seats (but take note that there are only two rear seats! after this kid, snip snip)
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back