using just key (no fob) without setting off alarm

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

broo
Scoobytruck Lurker

using just key (no fob) without setting off alarm

Post by broo »

So I've had my Baja for about 2 weeks now, and have read through the manual, but am still a bit confused about the lock situation.

What I would like to do is: never carry the key fob, using the key only to lock/unlock doors, yet still have alarm functionality enabled.

What I have noticed is:
1. if I use the fob to lock the vehicle, and then return and open it with a key, it sets the alarm off.
2. if I lock the vehicle using the "lock all doors" button on the inside driver's left armrest, and then return and open it with a key, it sets the alarm off.
3. if I lock the vehicle using the "lock all doors" button on the inside driver's left armrest, and then manually unlock the driver's door from the inside, and then get out, and then use the key to lock that door with a clockwise turn..... it seems to work as I want it to, because when I return and open with key, it doesn't go off.

BUT, sometimes, when I try to use method #3, I swear the alarm has gone off when I have returned! I don't know if there is another variable I haven't appreciated (such as, does the key have to be in or out of the ignition when I lock it originally? is there some time factor? etc....)

And furthermore, I don't know if by doing this method #3, have I bypassed part of the alarm? as in, if someone comes and somehow breaches that driver's door.... will the alarm go off?

Sorry this may be confusing... (But I'm betting for most people on this forum they know exactly what I'm talking about! :-) )
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: using just key (no fob) without setting off alarm

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there, what year Baja do you have? Asking because the alarm functions differently on the 06 models.
cletusdeltoro
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cletusdeltoro »

I recently bought an '05 and am curious about this as well, I'm not a fan of carrying an extra fob on my keychain.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Many modern cars (mid-90s and newer) do not support doing that. Even back in the early 90s, wireless encryption on fobs were more secure than key tumblers. If someone were to pick or overpower the tumbler or just short/clip wires to the switch then the alarm\immobilizer would be bypassed. tumblers keep the honest honest (heck, my wife picked a door tumbler for someone at church that left their keys in the car with a couple hairpins having no experience or knowledge other than knowing to twist while jiggling the pins from movies and games), cracking electronics requires some skill or tools and prior planning to have them handy.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back