LED Headlight Installation

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajaiowa
Scoobytruck Lurker

LED Headlight Installation

Post by bajaiowa »

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but hoping somebody on here has some advice! I recently bought some 9007 hi/lo beam LED headlights for my 03 Baja, and they don't fit inside the dust covers. Anybody had this problem in the past and modified them to make them work?
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: LED Headlight Installation

Post by anarchy1024 »

bajaiowa wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am Hey guys,

New to the forum, but hoping somebody on here has some advice! I recently bought some 9007 hi/lo beam LED headlights for my 03 Baja, and they don't fit inside the dust covers. Anybody had this problem in the past and modified them to make them work?
I thought all of the 2003s had separate bulbs for the highs and lows, so the correct bulb should be H1.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

anarchy1024 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 pm
bajaiowa wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am Hey guys,

I thought all of the 2003s had separate bulbs for the highs and lows, so the correct bulb should be H1.
quad lamp (separate lamp for high/low) headlights came later and on higher trims. Most 03s had the simpler combined headlights.

If you want LEDs, you'll have to leave the dust covers off or cut them out. That being said, I don't recall my 03 having dust covers over the backs.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

kamesama980 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 am quad lamp (separate lamp for high/low) headlights came later and on higher trims. Most 03s had the simpler combined headlights.
Okay... I was looking at the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Baja

2003: the initial model featured leather seats, power driver's seat, and sunroof. A lower priced "Sport" model, equipped with cloth interior and manually-adjustable seats followed later in the production year, also without ... four-beam headlamps, leather shift and steering wheel, front door puddle lights or an illuminated ignition key ring.

So, from that, I assumed most of the units sold would have the four-beam headlights.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

anarchy1024 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm Okay... I was looking at the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Baja

2003: the initial model featured leather seats, power driver's seat, and sunroof. A lower priced "Sport" model, equipped with cloth interior and manually-adjustable seats followed later in the production year, also without ... four-beam headlamps, leather shift and steering wheel, front door puddle lights or an illuminated ignition key ring.

So, from that, I assumed most of the units sold would have the four-beam headlights.
This is correct. The initial run of the 03s had the 4-beam headlights, and the sports that came later only had 2-beam. The original 03 bajas were then re-branded as the "baja classic" to distinguish them between the sport model, but the classic was dropped altogether in the 04 model year and replaced with the turbo. All the sport models have stock 2-beam headlights, while the classics and turbos have 4-beam.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

I was basing my statement on observations in the wild: maybe 10% of the non-turbos I've seen in person or online have dual-lamp housings. Percentages aside, which it has is something handy to know when asking for advice or doling it out.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back