Seat covers

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Seat covers

Post by oldpro »

I spent about 45 minutes trying to put an inexpensive seat cover on the driver's side of my '05 but there was just too much "stuff" under the seat for me to get all the straps, hooks and other stuff in place. I figure that for both front seats it would be about $100 worth of labor to install a $30 pair of covers. There were places I couldn't fit my hand in to place and stretch the material.

Can Wet Okole covers be installed without removing the seats? I checked online videos, but couldn't find a specific video for the Baja.

I'm thinking that for doing a whole lot of labor, I should go with a high-quality set of covers. Any advice?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Seat covers

Post by Guacamole »

I tried looking around for guides on 00-04 legacies & outback seat covers, but it doesn't seem like anyone's done a video for them. That said, the seats are the same for those models as the Baja, just different materials. Would it be possible to maybe bend some stiff wire (or bent clothes hangers) around the hooks to shove them under the seat so you can feed it through?
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

When installing Wet Okole covers on the front seats, is it necessary to permanently remove the plastic trim pieces on the outboard bottom sides of the seats, or can it be loosened and then replaced after all the under-seat work is finished?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

According to their instructions it looks like they'll have to be temporarily removed/loosened for installation.
https://www.wetokole.com/mm5/instructions/Un-Bucket.pdf
I don't have seat covers by the way I'm just going off instructions.
EDIT: The panel looks like it's held on by just three screws with plastic covers over them (unless you have a powered seat). Here's the FSM if you still want to DIY:
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... /SEATS.pdf
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Guacamole: Thanks for the FSM pages. It looks like some major loosening/disassembly to get some clearance between the seat cushion and the metal plate with the seat back spring, etc. It appears that any straps crossing from side-to-side under the seat have to go inside the structure, if they're just wrapped under, they'll interfere with the tracks and seat adjustment. What a POA! I've read reports about how quickly Wet Okole service guys can install covers in 30 minutes. Maybe being on Island Time is faster than we realized.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

No problem. If I'm reading Okele's instructions correctly, it looks like the side straps aren't fastened & are instead just shoved inside the plastic molding, only the front & back straps are fastened together. It basically just says "hide this here" & nothing else.