Is this a good buy?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Is this a good buy?

Post by deanrocker »

I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo on EBay for $6,200. Manual transmission. Leather seats. About 143k miles. 3 owners, Southern Colorado and NC. Checkit out on EBay under "Completed Listings."
I know of the infamous head gasket problems, but that was replaced. So was turbo. New tires, too.
I've wanted one of these since they came out. Am stoked! But I appreciate your candid opinions.
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Is this a good buy?

Post by tomato_88 »

deanrocker wrote:I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo on EBay for $6,200. Manual transmission. Leather seats. About 143k miles. 3 owners, Southern Colorado and NC. Checkit out on EBay under "Completed Listings."
I know of the infamous head gasket problems, but that was replaced. So was turbo. New tires, too.
I've wanted one of these since they came out. Am stoked! But I appreciate your candid opinions.
Congrats on the purchase!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

So... Would you say thisis a fair price?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Congrats on the purchase!
The head gasket issues mainly plague the NAs & not the turbos, it DOES happen, albeit very rarely. I just looked through the ad- sounds like you got a good buy! Might want to pull that pesky banjo bolt filter in the turbo though if it hasn't been done already.

Seriousness aside, the only thing I see that's glaring is that painted fuel door cover. [smilie=mad.gif] This misdeed cannot go unpunished.
my_ocd.gif
my_ocd.gif (88.76 KiB) Viewed 6320 times
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

I was wondering why that one part was white. Why would anyone do that? Car Report is clean on this, and the previous owner had a lot of stuff done to it 2 years ago. I keep thinking it seems too good to be true. Did you see the original post on EBay?
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

deanrocker wrote:I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo on EBay for $6,200. Manual transmission. Leather seats. About 143k miles. 3 owners, Southern Colorado and NC. Checkit out on EBay under "Completed Listings."
I bought a 2005 Turbo AT with 150k miles on body for $7500 in July - engine (replaced 2x by a Sub dealer) had 30k on it, and turbo had 50k on it - body perfect (2 front fender benders where everything replaced) except some rust starting inside rear passenger door. It sat on blocks for 2 years which probably was not great for it.

Basically what I have found is that you will need to replace “everything” in next little while...which I guess is “normal” for a 10-12 year old car.

Here’s what I have done since July.

- new battery (made seller pay!)
- new battery terminals
- new muffler $365
- struts/shocks (KYB)
- springs (OE 2004 Outback -1”)
- new rear endlinks
- new tires $476
- new rear cam bolts, rear arm bushings
- alignment
- banjo filter (replaced) $336
- parking brake $300
- replaced all fluids, bleed/flush brakes, caliper service, A/C recharge
- cleaned MAF
- put in air cabin filter (wasn’t one)
- new thermostat
- Subaru winter floor mats
- CV joints, boots, drive axle
- passenger air bag recall (free)
- SPT intake
- headlights & fogs with brightest PIAAs/Hellas
- interior bulbs with LEDs
- Whiteline polyurethane sway bar bushings
- rustproofing “oil” before first snow (prob. pointeless)
- 3 oil changes (every 3750) using Rotella M6 for diesels...
- stereo with bluetooth

Now have recurring P031 code (not gas cap), and steering shudders a tiny bit on startup, brakes don’t work on startup for 3-4 min. when -25F or below, ....Sub dealer said there was “oil in head gasket area” but 2 others mechs did not comment...so nothing currently urgent...

Drives perfectly but there is always “something” and I have no mech background so have to “pay” for any work...three mechanics that have worked on it have asked if I am “interested in selling”...I feel this is a “needy” car and I’m a little afraid (I’m no longer rich:) of a major expense so if I could get $10-12k might sell...question is what would one get instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

Thanks for sharing. Fortunately, many of the necessary items you listed, I can do myself, or have already been done. The only things I'm uncomfortable dealing with are engine or transmission related. Head gasket was allegedly replaced 2 years ago. If it was, I feel I'm somewhat home-free with the most expensive repair. Turbo was also replaced 10k ago.
I don't think these trucks are money-pits, but I don't think they're as reliable as Toyotas or Hondas, either. I wouldn't touch one if the head gasket hadn't already been replaced. Main reason I like them is that they're unique, and practical for my needs.
I wish the one I bought had a bed extender,though. They seem hard to find.
Thanks again for your input.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

deanrocker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:17 pm I was wondering why that one part was white. Why would anyone do that? Car Report is clean on this, & the previous owner had a lot of stuff done to it 2 years ago. I keep thinking it seems too good to be true. Did you see the original post on EBay?
Whoever did that shall be sacrificed to Pleiades.
I did read through the ad, like I said nothing really stood out, most of the listed maintenance seems pretty typical for a 12-year old car with that mileage. When I bought my 06 NA 3 years ago, the gaskets had been replaced, timing belt had been done, & all the axles were replaced... but I had to replace the front 2 axles, all 4 brakes & axle bearings, & a few lights, & a new battery last year (not to mention my exhaust is toast, but that's from NY & MD winter driving... ROAD SALT).
BajaTim wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 pm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like the last owner just didn't take care of it. The internet is an amazing resource of information if you know where & how to look. Hell if an absolute moron like myself can somehow figure out how to wire up 3 sets of LED bars, securely mount them on the car, run the wiring to the battery, through the firewall, below the dash, into front pillar, & finally through the roof without water getting into the cab all without installation instructions & absolutely no prior electrical experience anyone can. I don't mess with the engine or trans though, forget that.

So to both of you guys, these are older cars. There WILL be some costly & major repairs down the line, but little things can be ignored.
Take for example...
My exhaust is currently shot to hell & back (it rattles & leaks like crazy & half of it fell off last month, but my redneck repair will hold for the time being), there's about 10 degrees wiggle room in the steering wheel when it's straight, the steering wheel alignment is about 5 degrees off to the left, there's a very faint grinding noise on the front right wheel (likely the bearing again), the heater core leaks slightly when it's cold, the driver's seat looks like Tony the Tiger's chew toy, the splash guards are cracked & chipped up, the body's full of dings & scratches from my fellow MD drivers' infamous parking jobs, the CD player randomly stutters & skips [insert "it's your bad music" joke here], & the two middle defroster cables in the rear window are dead... but all this can wait & has been waiting since I bought it.
Remember the slogan: "Love, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru"
Love your subie & it will love you back.

P.S. You can still buy a new bed extender from a Subie dealer for about $240. They have some still sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the states.
Subarupartsonline.com has them listed for $184.86 (not including shipping): https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-ba ... -1307.html
Last edited by Guacamole on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

Thanks for taking the time to write.
I've been spoiled by my Toyotas, Hondas, Acuras and Lexus. I have 6 vehicles for my family, and all I ever to is oil changes and brake pads and fill fluids and get tires changed and the occasional battery (knock on wood).
If the engine and transmission are dependable, I can deal with the rest. The turbo does scare me, as it's just something else to go wrong. But I've never had a turbo, and it should make it more valuable when/if I do resell it.
I forgot to ask in original post ... Current owner says this is a rare, rare vehicle, being it's a turbo and 5-speed manual transmission.I couldn't find how many of these were made for the '06 model. Anyone know?
CNaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CNaylor »

deanrocker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo on EBay for $6,200. Manual transmission. Leather seats. About 143k miles. 3 owners, Southern Colorado and NC. Checkit out on EBay under "Completed Listings."
A couple of corrections to the add:
Monotone: All 2006 Baja's were monotone. Black was one of three colors offered in 2006.
Leather seats: From the one bad picture, this looks like it has the standard Vinyl seats / with cloth inserts. (Leather was only avail w/ 4sp Auto)

See brochure: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Sub ... a_2006.pdf
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

deanrocker wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write.
I've been spoiled by my Toyotas, Hondas, Acuras and Lexus. I have 6 vehicles for my family, and all I ever to is oil changes and brake pads and fill fluids and get tires changed and the occasional battery (knock on wood).
If the engine and transmission are dependable, I can deal with the rest. The turbo does scare me, as it's just something else to go wrong. But I've never had a turbo, and it should make it more valuable when/if I do resell it.
I forgot to ask in original post ... Current owner says this is a rare, rare vehicle, being it's a turbo and 5-speed manual transmission.I couldn't find how many of these were made for the '06 model. Anyone know?
I have looked high and low. There don't seem to be production numbers out there. Subaru does release sales data and there are sales numbers for Baja's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk