Need Fast Feedback on Potential Purchase

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Need Fast Feedback on Potential Purchase

Post by deanrocker »

Hey Folks,
I figured I'd consult the experts before becoming a Baja owner. I'm able to buy a 2-owner '03 base Baja, manual transmission with only 88,000 miles here in Florida. It's a northern car from Washington state and Wisconsin, but I'm told it has no rust on the body or underneath, other than the exhaust. Greatest concern is if the head gasket is going to need to be replaced. Guy swear he babied it and no lights or no leaks.
Anything in particular I should check for or listen for when test driving? How would I know if the head gasket is a problem or potential problem?
Lastly, and most importantly ... The purchase price is $5,200. I've researched these quite a bit, and believe that to be a very good price, if not a steal. But again, I'd like your feedback. The sooner the better as I'm scheduled to buy it in 5 hours! (P.S> I tried signing up yesterday, but didn't get moderator activation til minutes ago).
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Need Fast Feedback on Potential Purchase

Post by BajaTim »

I bought a 2005 Turbo AT in July - NJ car...looked FANTASTIC & drove ok in short test drive...only 30k on dealer installed replacement engine, 50k on turbo...these Subies are TIME BOMBS waiting to explode...if you don’t have $3-4k to spend in next while - buy a Ford:) Last inspection from dealer (replaced Banjo bolt) said “oil leak around head gaskets”:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Need Fast Feedback on Potential Purchase

Post by kamesama980 »

Don't be dramatic. Any used car is a time bomb and you should always set aside a chunk of change for repairs. That's why I hate the "I fixed everything to fix on my old car so I sold it at a loss, here's what I can scrape up if I eat ramen all year" WTB posts. Also, any history given is 9/10 BS. Besides, the banjo bolt not tolerant of neglect is exclusive to the turbo engine.

Hope your purchase went well OP.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back