Reverend's Baja Turbo

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Reverend
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Reverend's Baja Turbo

Post by Reverend »

Earlier this year the Baja Blast got a bit of a lift. This time, the Baja as not only grown taller, but wider, meaner, and an absolute riot to drive on B-Roads. Behold! Method 502 VT Spec wheels wrapped in BF Goodrich KO2 All-Terrain tires! With 10.5 inches of ground clearance, this setup has inspired me to go out and find the most inhospitable "roads" in the area. Granted, this is Nebraska... so there's no Mountains to scale, but after I've clocked 300 miles already on these things, I really feel like I can tackle anything.

Read more on my blog> Baja Blast: Methods and KO2s
Reverend
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reverend »

From storm chasing to mud slinging, the Baja Blast has been living up to it's name. Really enjoying the lift and grip with this thing. I also added Primitive Skidplates on the rear diff, trans, and front so it's ready for more adventuring.

Reverend
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reverend »

Well, after a year-and-a-half, it's time to start changing up the Baja again. I had always thought about changing up the grille on the Baja, as I don't quite care for the stock one. However, there aren't many options to change up the grille so I decided to start on making my own set of changes.

I still wanted a frame to use for the grille, so I cut out all the stuff in the middle as clean as I could. I left a small lip of gray painted plastic to give me something to mount the grille to.

I started cutting up some black gutter guards to fit just inside the chrome frame and I used four small zip ties to mock up the grille once I had the fitment the way I wanted.

The grille fits nicely, but there's a few more things to finish up with it. I'd like to put a Subaru Emblem on it to make it look "Factory Fresh", but the one I found was too large (from a newer one) and the one from the original grille has a big crack in the center of it. I'll keep looking for a new one. Plus, you can still see the silver bumper behind the mesh, so I'll likely paint that section black so it looks sharp. Overall I'm pleased with how it's gone so far and will have another update once I've finished it up.

I also have some new Fog Lights on the way, as the stock ones have taken too many rocks over the years. The new set will have a protective film over them to help them survive my MtnRoo adventures a little better. I was going to put a set of LED ones in their place, but I think some auxiliary lights are in my Baja's future anyways. While I was at it, I also upgraded my headlight bulbs to Putco LED units, as the stock halogen lights are hilariously weak. They make a world of a difference and they don't seem to be blinding anyone on the road at night.

Reverend
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reverend »

Finished up the grille project. It's pretty secure now and I found a clever way to get the badge back on. It just looked empty without anything in the grille. I also painted the small section of the bumper cover that was visible through the grille so it's all blacked out. I'm really pleased with the end result. As for Fog Lights, I just decided to go back to OEM ones. Picked some up brand-new and put some Stoneguard clear film over 'em to protect them from rocks and such.

ImageCustom Grille by 86Reverend, on Flickr
Alf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alf »

Very nice ride. BRAVO!