Interchangeable seats

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Interchangeable seats

Post by Guacamole »

BajaTim wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm @Guacamole I have same torn driver seat cushion cover - OE replacement cover is $440 (ImageImageImage)...but 2003 Outback cover is $126? and matching cushion pad $85 - not a perfect match to Baja but black cloth so close enough...Question is: will Outback seat cushion pad simply fit/attach to Baja seat frame? Not having disassembled not sure how they attach (velcro, wire?)...I would probably hire upholster person to remove and fit new.
I honestly do not know & can't find any info on just swapping the cushions with other models. I'm going to assume no, but like starr- posted, the whole seat can be swapped with several other models with no modification.

I can however tell you that the seat cushion is held on via series of hooks, rings, and other fun stuff. The FSM unfortunately does not have good diagrams of the disassembly process, but I can send you the PDF if you'd like.

On an unrelated note, the rear seats apparently always happy.
rearseatsmiley.JPG
rearseatsmiley.JPG (17.42 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Guacamole wrote:
BajaTim wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm @Guacamole I have same torn driver seat cushion cover - OE replacement cover is $440 (ImageImageImage)...but 2003 Outback cover is $126? and matching cushion pad $85 - not a perfect match to Baja but black cloth so close enough...Question is: will Outback seat cushion pad simply fit/attach to Baja seat frame? Not having disassembled not sure how they attach (velcro, wire?)...I would probably hire upholster person to remove and fit new.
I honestly do not know & can't find any info on just swapping the cushions with other models. I'm going to assume no, but like starr- posted, the whole seat can be swapped with several other models with no modification.

I can however tell you that the seat cushion is held on via series of hooks, rings, and other fun stuff. The FSM unfortunately does not have good diagrams of the disassembly process, but I can send you the PDF if you'd like.

On an unrelated note, the rear seats apparently always happy.
rearseatsmiley.JPG
Yes - that figures - rears always chirpy!

I’m trying to avoid expense, time and most things “mechanical” if I can - so I thought just “swap the cushion” might be easiest - the lower part of seat looks the same in all diagrams -but part numbers different...

And I seem to be reading about “height issues” at least between Forester and WRXs compared to Legacy based models (Outback, Baja).

I’m also trying to keep things as Baja-like as possible (but nit to tune if $440 for lower seat coverImageImageImage).

Thanks for your reply - appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

starr- wrote:93-07 impreza, first and second gen forester / legacy are all bolt in. 05-09 outback can fit with seat rail modification. 08-14 impreza seats *should* work by swapping seat rails...
Also, impreza and forester seats usually sit a couple inches higher.

Try searching. Lots of info on this topic already.
Are WRX’s (incl. STI) included as “Impreza”? Thnx.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

... yes
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]