baja swap

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

baja858
Scoobytruck Lurker

baja swap

Post by baja858 »

hi I have a 03 non turbo baja and recently the headgasket started leaking. I am looking to do a turbo engine swap while im at it and was wondering what engines are plug n play, im not familiar with subaru engines and I did research but there are numerous variations of engines. I am looking for a plug n play turbo engine swap. I also do not mind getting a jdm engine either since they usually have lower miles. Will a 03 wrx turbo engine be a direct plug n play? I plan on keeping the automatic transmission since I use this as a shop car and others need to be able to drive it as well.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: baja swap

Post by bajaguy »

That will require much more wiring than you're probably expecting. Most people swap the drivetrain when they do an engine swap as well. Mostly due to handling the additional power but also to get the performance upgrade of the 6sp. Check out Paul's swap:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2531
baja858
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by baja858 »

thos are completly different years I meant will a 03 wrx engine bolt into the baja
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

baja858 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 pm thos are completly different years I meant will a 03 wrx engine bolt into the baja
It still applies in your case. If you want a turbo in your NA, you will have to basically swap the entire drive train, rewire the engine & all its components, and possibly swap the dash so the ECU communicates with the gauges properly. There is no direct NA-to-Turbo plug-and-play scenario for the Baja (or any Subaru that I'm aware of). Even the Classic/Sport & Turbo models have different drive trains (mainly final drive ratio) and certain parts cannot be swapped in between.

So to directly answer your question of a direct plug and play with an 03 WRX into your Baja...
No. Only another Baja EJ251 engine is direct plug-and-play. It is possible to swap it, but will require a lot of time, skill, and money.

I also found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391&p=18985
baja858
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by baja858 »

what automatic transmissions are compatible? The reason is that it is impossible to find a wrecked baja or some one parting one.
Subiedude89
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subiedude89 »

not impossible at all! I can't go into what other models will work for you because I have an 05 NA, and I only know that Im limitied to 04 outback or 04 05 06 baja.

I used this site to find my trans www.car-part.com