Underseet Sub

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Underseet Sub

Post by bajanut »

I just got my Clarion Sub installed today. Dam does it sound good. It doesn't put out thumping power that will shake the car next to you, but it does fill out the low end very well and it vibrates my wifes hiney really well. I have it turned down a bit and it it sounds great. I have a lot of playing to do with my setup to get the sound just right but dam it is nice.

Setup:
04 Subaru Baja turbo premium
Subaru/Clarion upgraded speakers
Pioneer Premier DEH-P760MP Head Unit
Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM Reciever
Clarion SRV303 Underseet Subwoofer
---------------
Ben
pdiz

Post by pdiz »

Cool, thanks for that.

How would you say the Clarion install compares to the OEM subwoofer as far as ease?

How would you estimate the sound over the OEM one based on specs of each?

I want a clean OEM like install (read: no jury rigging or cutting up of anything), but I also want the best sound I can get.

Also, do you have the "upgraded" stereo system? There were reports that the OEM sub sounds better with the less-powerful system, or something like that.

Thanks for any and all input and enjoy your sub!
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

pdiz, I hope this answers all your questions properly.
how would you say the Clarion install compares to the OEM subwoofer as far as ease?
I didn't install it, I had the shop do it, but it came with just about everything needed. All I needed to buy was a RCA cable. I just need to add the cable for the remote control to it, I couldn't decide where I wanted it to go and how, I just told them to leave it attached. Will install this week or weekend and take pics then.
How would you estimate the sound over the OEM one based on specs of each?
I am going from memory from what one of the OEM ones sounded, it sounds 100% better and it also is the exact same footprint as the OEM.
want a clean OEM like install (read: no jury rigging or cutting up of anything), but I also want the best sound I can get.
It comes with the brackets for installing, no cutting needed at all.
Also, do you have the "upgraded" stereo system? There were reports that the OEM sub sounds better with the less-powerful system, or something like that
Yes, I have a 04 Turbo Premium which came with the upgraded speakers standard.
---------------
Ben
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

i just bought two of these (one for each seat!) and cant wait til they get here--should install on sunday, ill post here if i can get it done (my baja is in the shop) with some pics. thanks for the idea, bajanut!
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

---------------
Ben
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

thanks for the pics! the install looks really clean and professional. how was it to take the seats out? had any performance issues or complaints so far, or more praise perhaps after these few days?
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

It was professionaly installed, I just needed to move the remove control so I could use it. I couldn't figure out where I wanted it so I told them to leave it attached. you can see in one of the pics that the remote is attached to the sub. It also comes with a cable and i routed that up to the center console. The seats are fairly easy to take out, 4 13 or 14mm bolts (don't remember witch) and the plastic coverings just snap off the rear bolts easily. Only performance issue I had was that the sub was being over driven when the remote was under the seat, now that it is up front, I can control that and it sounds soooooooo good. My wife doesn't mind it either. The sound sounds so good now. the only thing that some won't like is it is not a sub that is designed to rattel windows or shake other cars. It makes the audio sound so mutch better is all. But I knew that going in because of the size of the sub and the size of the enclosure. But I still have no complaints right now, only praises.
---------------
Ben
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

better sound is good! i dont need to bump the windows or other cars (for now), if id wanted to have huge sound i wouldve bought a car with a trunk lol. just a good solid thump inside the baja to fill in the low end, maybe ill be able to crank it a lil bit too, hopefully dual 'underseet subs' will help! thanks for the info :D
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

I haven't cranked it up to high yet, at least since in got the remote where I want it. But I think that you definatally will get the bump that you are looking for with dual subs. In my mind it might be overkill for the stock speakers or the upgraded stock speakers. Hope it works well for you 2.
---------------
Ben
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

ive got the upgraded speakers, but ive got plans :twisted: ive already got diamond audio m6 components waiting to go in as soon as i get my diamond d7054 amp in... and ive got a couple of diamond audio 8" cm3 subs that will be fit into a custom box so i will still have all four seats, complemented by a diamond audio d7401 amp [smilie=hellyeah.gif] but it will be a little bit before i can get the d7054 in... so we will have to wait for that