Anyone know the status on the airbag recall

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Allanon93
Scoobytruck Contributer

Anyone know the status on the airbag recall

Post by Allanon93 »

Status for the recall for the Bajas. Haven't heard anything from them for 2 months about now. Anyone know what they are doing to fix it.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Anyone know the status on the airbag recall

Post by TastyHuman »

I was notified a couple of weeks ago, spoke with the dealer and they said there was a big backlog for replacement airbags.
Allanon93
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allanon93 »

Alright thanks. My dealership didn't tell me anything when I asked them. They said we have no information at this time. And that was 2 weeks ago.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

I think it is very dealer dependant. I got the letter and email last month like many of us, stating Subaru will "be in touch" when parts become available. I waited a couple of weeks, then called my local dealer. Part is in stock and being installed this week. Go figure.....
bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaja »

I work at a Subaru dealership and not all Baja's are affected by the recall. You'll need to go to closest dealership and have the check the part number on the airbag inflator. I checked into it right when I heard about the recall, and come to find out mine was one of the Baja's with a takata inflator. Luckily parts were available so I was able to do mine right on the spot. As far as parts in your location not sure. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Went in yesterday to have my airbag replaced. Took about 4 hours overall at the local dealership.

Interesting comment by service manager....apparently this is just the "first step" of a final permanent fix. He said that it would likely be many months or more before Subaru comes out with a permanent solution. The "replacement" bag installed they installed is apparently also a Takata, but a different model that supposedly doesn't have the same issues. However, until Takata's issues get resolved somehow down the road, a final permanent solution is not on the horizon....hmmm. Anyway, this replacement will supposedly be safer.
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RedStage »

just got another letter stating now that my car MAY NOT be involved in the recall....
That I needed to take it in to be inspected to see if it was affected.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

First the letter arrived saying my Baja was part of the passenger airbag recall, then the second letter saying that it needs to be inspected to be sure. Yesterday the dealer inspected it and said it was NOT affected by the recall. Service advisor said they had only found one car so far that had the bad Takata inflator.
Allanon93
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allanon93 »

From I was learning about the recall, it was mostly all the vehicles that were sold in zone 2 that were affected by the recall. Zone 2 was a good chunk of the east coast. The Suabru dealership hasn't got any replacement parts in yet.