Another road trip in the Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Another road trip in the Baja

Post by yellowblaze »

Last weekend we took a 10 hr one way road trip to North Carolina with the Baja. Still lovin it! The only new complaint I can add is the paint quality. I cant belive how many chips it's got!! We're up to 14,000 miles now, and it's got more chips than my 00 Stang with 30,000 miles! Do they make a bra for these?! Geez...and to add to it, someone got leaf blower happy on it when my husband had it at work, and shot rocks into the rear bumper. They're fixing it though, whether they want to or not!!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Mine had only 2 chips in it when I bought it a year ago. Now it looks like the hood has mumps with all the touch up I have done to it. Just depends on whats flyin through the air. My Park Ave had the same problem. I think it catches hell the way the front is sloped. Its so low compared to a higher 4x4. My Cherokee was never bad, the hood had almost no chips in it after 9 1/2 years of driving it. I figure the hood will need to be repainted in another year, to keep it lookin nice. Mike
opimax1
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by opimax1 »

I believe it was 2001 that EPA forced a paint reformulation that now causes almost all brands to chip easily. I also have a 2003 G35 coupe, Nissan brands I have heard maybe the worst, certainly appears to be :(

Mark
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Geez just can't keep at home huh? Good to see your enjoying long roadtrips - I want to take some longer tours with mine now. I think a bra might be avalable and I have seen a bug deflector on Baja around here. I guess I shouldn't be surprized if I meet up with you in Fergus or Mosport seeing your likeing for roadtrips.

Bob
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Oooo, Mosport, that could be FUN!! :twisted:
ScreaminMimi
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ScreaminMimi »

I think it is the design/height of the car, I have several chips in my paint.

I have the '05 turbo and the bra manufacturers all say it can't be used with the turbo because of the disruption of the air flow.

The only other alternative is the rockblocker clear bra. It's nice for a light colored car, and I'd do it in a heartbeat, but mine's dark and it'll show.
'78 Brat Stock 4 sp.
Ford Chrome Yellow/Red Decals
'86 Brat - T-tops, low topper - primer grey
'05 Baja Turbo 5 sp.
Monterey Silver/Brilliant Silver
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

They make a bug shield just for the turbo model.
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

I have seen the rockblocker on just about all the 02 model year xrx colers. I could hardly tell it was there on all of them, even the black. rockblocker rocks. I whish I could have afforded it shen I got my baja, and won't be able to in the near future. I used to live in Kirkland, WA which is right next door to Redmond, WA, the old home of Rockblocker. now they are in AZ, which is now closer to me, but still too far away to get them to install it. I think that is the key, to get it installed by a pro.
---------------
Ben
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

If you don't already have the hood deflector (you know, those plastic bug things), put one on. The first day we had the Baja, a rock bounced up off of the road and put a huge chip in the hood. Haven't had one since putting the deflector on (although plenty has hit my windshield), and it's been about 1.5 years now.
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

yellowblaze wrote:Oooo, Mosport, that could be FUN!! :twisted:
Yes AMLS at Mosport Good!

I was amazed when the Ferrari team let me into thier work area to take pics!

Bob
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Those look a bit outta the Baja's league! A Mustang club we know does a Mustangs at Mosport day every year....I was hopin the Subie club up there did the same thing!!