Considering

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Forge04
Scoobytruck Lurker

Considering

Post by Forge04 »

I know there's a ton of these threads and I hate adding to it, but I'm considering buying an 05 NA automatic. 187k. They want $6500.

Looks to be in decent shape, some things replaced... a quick CL search in Texas will find it.

My thing is, my wife says it's not worth the money. So my question, my immediate question, isn't how to talk erin into it, but what is it about a Baja that makes it worth that money? I've stated the bed, the mileage, the awd, the four doors and that it's unique. It's not enough. Have I missed anything?

Thank you.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Considering

Post by oldpro »

What about "I've always wanted one these ever since___________." Or: "I'll buy you ___________." Worked for me.
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

They are rare and actually going up in price. Just you hold onto it a few years and I bet you they'd fetch a pretty penny.
cjdw1329
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cjdw1329 »

Last month I snagged an 05 auto turbo with 82,000 miles on it for $12,000. I live in New Orleans and drove to Mobile to get it. What they are asking for the 05 auto NA is a very fair price, as long as the maintenance has been performed accordingly. These are rare unicorns indeed.
2005 Baja Turbo, Monterey & Brilliant Silver
Traded in a 2006 Dodge Ram in 2015.
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

I just got mine, 05 NA auto with 158k for $8250. From KY, so no rust like I assume a TX truck would be. It did come with a cap for their rear. I see the one you are looking at has a cover.
If they have good records for service, and the head gasket has been replaced, it seems like a fair price. You will not see as much deprecation in it than you will other cars, that should be a point to make. Buy it now, spend on average $1000 a year for services, tires and such, and you will be much far ahead then if you bought a much newer car. Just look it over really well or have a mechanic check it over. Just my opnion...
2005 Baja Sport
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Look at the Jeep Cherokee and the Wrangler, new the Cherokee sold for more, then years later the Wrangler is worth twice or more what the Cherokee is worth because the market dictates the Wrangler has more demand while the Cherokees go to the junkyard. The same is true about the Baja Vs the Outback, it has retained the value it has because of the demand Vs supply and is selling for twice as much as the wagon. The true definition of what something is worth is what someone will pay for it and the market has spoken.

This probably is not what your wife wants to hear, but does she make every decision based on robotic calculations of value or does she sometimes buy the thing she wants? To you what makes the Baja worth twice as much as the wagon means nothing to her and it sounds like your not going to explain that in terms she will accept. Hopefully she will accept it on terms of a reward you deserve or some other premise. Best of luck!
Forge04
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Forge04 »

Thanks all. If I do get on board I'll be going down there on Saturday to actually sit in, drive and look over.

On an 05 NA, what should I look for once I can touch it?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Check the undersides (if you can crawl under it) for serious rust. Surface rust is no biggie, but when the structural components of the parts are corroded that's a bad sign & the parts may not last long. Also look inside the door wells & around the plastic bits- if there's a lot of rust there that means the unibody is starting to rust & may be weak in some places.

Common Baja issues:
Head Gaskets (Serious) (more so on 03-04 models) symtoms:
Coolant leaking externally from bellow the exhaust manifold
White smoke from the exhaust pipe
Overheating engine
Bubbles in the radiator or coolant overflow tank
White milky oil
Significant loss of coolant with no visible leaks
Ripped or Flat Driver's Seat It's rare to not find a Baja without a bad/worn front seat.

Everything else just like a regular car check. Steering, transmission, panel gap symmetry, lights, paint scratches/scuffs, etc.

Ask the current owner when the timing belt was replaced too, should be replaced around 70,000 miles & it's a pain to replace, same with spark plugs.

Hope that helps & good luck!
Forge04
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Forge04 »

All of this helps, truly.
Mostly highway miles,Only been on the seawall no beach sand,, Must see, New tires, No accidents, Perfect first car, Very clean interior, Well maintained.new 02 sensors,new tires,belts,alignment,radiator,thermosta t,and battery 2013./new ignition, coil,resealed valve covers,new timing belt and front seals and front axle shift. 2014/ new front wheel bearings plug wires catalytic converter,new inner tie rods both sides,new left right steering rack boot,new left front sway bar and both rear, wheel alignment,new tires,new brakes and rotors, 2015 . has bed extender. and cover lock
Nothing about head gaskets . . .
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

I bought my 2006, NA with 143k in November 2015 for $7995.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

jdlmodelt wrote:I bought my 2006, NA with 143k in November 2015 for $7995.
no rust, no corrosion. clean under body, upper body, etc...
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

They're definitely unique and like others have said, unicorns in a large truck & SUV world. I am often approached by folks who've never seen one before, didn't know Subaru ever made them and want to talk and learn about it.

IMO, they're more flexible in some respects than small pickups as you have the fold through door for hauling. Subaru's in my area have become the 'hot' brand, and my dealership literally was selling new (but not yet arrived) cars off a whiteboard because that's all they had left.

Things I like...its a sporty, fun little 'ready for action' car/truck. Its a small SUT, so if you're a tall family like mine, it can get crowded quickly.

For me, it came down to wanting a fun little run-around-town vehicle to enjoy. My son has an Impreza WRX and I wanted to play too. It also was a bonus that we have a great independent repair & performance shop in town, so repairs & knowledge is a huge plus.

Being that I have an '03 with 103k miles on it, I know I'm in for head gaskets at some point, but for right now, its running just fine...no leaks, no issues and I'm having fun playing in the snow.

If I ever decided to sell it, I know that it'd be gone in a week or less. They're just not common, and folks do seek them out. If fact, there's a CL posting for a guy trying to find one to buy locally.

As to your situation...cars come & go, your wife will hopefully be around for a long time...make sure she's on board. My wife tolerates the Baja b/c I went from an Avalanche with a 33 gal tank & 14 mpg to $20 fill ups and she has a nice new Durango already anyway.