New here. Just picked up my 2006 yesterday

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

New here. Just picked up my 2006 yesterday

Post by jdlmodelt »

So I traded my 2008 Honda Civic for a 2006 Subaru with more miles. However, I expect living in SW Colorado, the Baja will better suit my needs. 4x4 for poor weather and unpaved roads. tiny pickup bed to throw the mountain bike in or run to the hardware store for home improvement projects. 4 doors for passengers when I need it. I'm pretty happy overall. It was about a 225 mile drive one way to get to the seller and then drive back home. We encountered snow pack and snowing over Wolf Creek pass on the way home so I got to try that out as well. Felt stable. We'll be driving to town today to do some last minute Christmas shopping so I'll get to try it out in town today as well. It's a nice clean car. So far I'm a happy new Subaru owner.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: New here. Just picked up my 2006 yesterday

Post by Guacamole »

Welcome & congrats on the purchase!
sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sykemikeg »

Awesome, still loveing my new Subaru.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

Here's a pic from the dealer. I haven't had a chance to take any myself yet. I like the color combination. I haven't found any with the same colors yet. :)
Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Congrats! I would suggest a full change of every fluid including brakes and rear diff as an initial service. Any planned mods or just drive it as is?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

That's an '06? :shock: I've never seen an 06 with two-tone paint scheme! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 06s only come in 4 single-tone colors (Red, Silver, Blue, & Black)? If that's right, I suspect someone traded the lower panels with an 05 owner.
While searching for the stock colors I managed to find the online ad for your baja :lol:, complete sheer chance I swear... Creepymuch?
If nothing is wrong mechanically with it (reading the description it says this one was a buyback), you got a steal- factory floor mats, bed cover, & best of all the front seat looks great!
As Acro suggested, get it fully-inspected in & out if you can spare the cash for it.

P.S, what's with that plastic-looking thing on the hood?
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

Yep. you found the original add. It's been in a couple of minor fender benders. As such, I suspect that's when the PO had the paint scheme two toned. I love the color combo. The buy back with in California with the original owner. It failed to pass emissions and they had the opportunity with 40k miles to make the dealer buy it back. It runs great. Brake calipers were replaced around 100k so the brake fluid has been done as well at that time. The timing belt was done at 121k. I'll take a look at the diff oil. Engine oil is super clean, must have just been changed. Tires are like new. Body is clean and strait and the paint is shiny clean. Seats are in great shape. It's getting 28mpg. I jumped on this one even with the buy back. The price was nice and low for the options, miles and overall condition. I'm crawling under it today to inspect the under side.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

That color combo was never offered any year. Definitely a repaint/swap but I like it! Is that a turbo scoop on a NA?
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

yes. no turbo scoop that the PO added for looks. My son said keep it. I was considering removing it.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

The PO had the timing belt replaced at 121k. I'm now at 143k. I see a small oil leak/seep that I would guess is coming from somewhere near the front of the engine before the oil filter and near the plastic timing belt covers. I'm guessing they didn't have the where with all to change the seals while they had the front exposed?
mark40
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mark40 »

WOW! great find congrats. As time goes by these will be harder to find.
I'm visiting my folks in NC. Yesterday someone saw my '06 in the driveway and knocked on the door to inquire about it.
He is looking for one like you have found.
Just told him to be persistent in his search and to react swiftly to any leads.

Enjoy your Baja!
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

Thanks Mark40. I'm looking forward to some fun years of commuting in this little 4x4. I might actually drive it more than the Porsche this year. Haha!
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

So, as folks are thinking these were repainted...that would seem to indicate that the panels are removable?

Congrats on the purchase!
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

dorelse wrote:So, as folks are thinking these were repainted...that would seem to indicate that the panels are removable?

I would have to say yep on removable panels. My passenger rear quarter is slightly loose and I can see a plastic clip plug like the interior door panels use.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

dorelse wrote:So, as folks are thinking these were repainted...that would seem to indicate that the panels are removable?

And thanks! I am SOOOOOOOO glad i have this car now that we are getting hammered with a lot of snow this winter. It's a fun, very STABLE drive.