New to me, 2003 Baja - Hi!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: New to me, 2003 Baja - Hi!

Post by Killer B »

The sliding thing could be from the lack of weight on the rear tires due to it being an open truck bed back there, albeit a small one.

So far I've only driven in some mild snow in my Baja twice but it has handled excellently both times. I like to keep it safe though, and didn't try to test anything.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

That silver is really sexy. Just like my Porsche Boxster!
Guacamole wrote:Most likely as the rest of the dashboard is the same as an 02 legacy's. Basically the whole interior except the rear seats & center consoles seem interchangeable. I just changed a door on my Baja with an 02 legacy door & it's EXACTLY the same part- thinking about changing the silver trim to the faux wood trim some legacies had. I found some pics below:

Baja Interior
baja03steeringwheel2.JPG
02 Legacy Iterior
2002_subaru_legacy_outback_h6_vdc_awd_moon_roof_8_lgw.jpg
If you go for it, make sure it's a 2000-2002 2000-2004, after 02/03 '05 Subaru changed the styling.

* Red = incorrect info
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

dorelse wrote:Hello from Des Moines, IA. Just picked up this 2003 with 101k miles from N. MN. Luckily, its not a rust bucket and appears to have been taken care of so I'm happy. Put 400 miles on it driving back home today and it did great! (really could use another forward gear though!)

Anyway, its great and I'm really happy with it...its not perfect, drivers seat bolster is worn through (usual issue), and it was obviously always parked that same way as one side is faded than the other.

Anyone know that's up with the FB Baja page? Asked to join 2 weeks ago, and been pending ever since?

I hear you. the day I bought mine and drove home over 200 miles I realized an extra gear would be great. However. Now that I'm home and my commute is 60-65 for 27 miles, i get around 27mpg. i'm happy
Welcome!
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

Honesty, I'm driving a bit slower now, keep it at 72-74'ish in the 3k rpm range and it just cruises along fine. I just figure that the engine is fine running there and to not worry about it. Still beats the 12 mpg in my old full size truck!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

^
My neighbor purposefully zooms past me with his F350 dually with twin exhaust stacks on the highway every time he sees me & purposefully parks next to me at community events. I laugh at him every time I drive by the gas station & he's there spending ~$120 to fill up his tank for 2 days-worth of driving. :lol:
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

Guacamole wrote:^
My neighbor purposefully zooms past me with his F350 dually with twin exhaust stacks on the highway every time he sees me & purposefully parks next to me at community events. I laugh at him every time I drive by the gas station & he's there spending ~$120 to fill up his tank for 2 days-worth of driving. :lol:
At the peak of the latest gas prices, my Avalanche was $120+ per week to drive just in gas. Glad that's over!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Yep! $20-worth & I'm good for a whole week & that's just a half-tank, & I drive 60-miles daily. :D
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

Putting the Baja to work today!

Through a snowstorm the entire trip too...