Interior Swap From Legacy GT Limited

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Interior Swap From Legacy GT Limited

Post by dalerich »

I just got my Baja about a month ago, and i knew right away I wanted to brighten up the interior. I have never been a fan of black/gray interiors. I assumed I would spend months or years finding all the bits at junk yards. Last week I was lucky and picked up a 2002 Legacy GT Limited that was sideswiped. Other than every panel getting reworked on the passenger side, it runs fine and drives great. I am planning many upgrades using this car. I don't plan to do too many of them this winter, but next spring when I can drive some other cars in the snow I hope to really get into it. As a bonus, the Legacy is being used to shuttle and shelter the wife and kid to the school bus stop 1/4 mile from the house. They will miss those heated seats next year... :)

I couldn't wait to see how the lighter color would look, so I swapped out the rear door panel to get things started. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
The trim ring around the door lock and unlatch assembly.
The trim ring around the door lock and unlatch assembly.
20151101_162625_001.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
Back side where you can see the plastic pins that push/pull out of the door.
Back side where you can see the plastic pins that push/pull out of the door.
20151101_162605.jpg (4.38 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
Legacy panel installed on the Baja.
Legacy panel installed on the Baja.
20151101_163553.jpg (6.3 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
2005 Baja Sport
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Interior Swap From Legacy GT Limited

Post by mikeeitup »

ohh classy! I love a black interior with some color pop but this really does make it look much more..... sophisticated.
Mike
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

mikeeitup wrote:ohh classy! I love a black interior with some color pop but this really does make it look much more..... sophisticated.
Mike
I agree! It does give it a pretty different feel, especially with the wood trim accent. I didn't know the rear doors were the same as the Legacy; can all of the interior trim pieces be swapped?
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

anarchy1024 wrote:can all of the interior trim pieces be swapped?
Near as I can tell yes. The trim just behind the rear seats, where the rear seat belts are, looks to be unique to the Baja. I am not yet sure about the headliner, but because they both have a moon/sun roof, I am hoping they are interchangeable. I wanted to paint the woodish finish with exterior body color, but I will wait and see if I like the wood look first.
2005 Baja Sport
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Wow! This'll make finding a replacement for my cracked rear inner door panel much easier! I'm assuming you're planning on using the original Baja panel for the Legacy?
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

I have older cars, and have learned it's best to carefully pack away the original parts. The poor Legacy will soon look like a rally car.
2005 Baja Sport
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

The headliners are definitely not interchangable. You'd be best off getting the material and gluing it up. The carpet will be the other challenge. The rest should swap right over! You might take the opportunity to put in some sound deadening material in the doors, floor, and ceiling.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Just ordered a grey Legacy door to replace my cracked Baja door, looks like the same color, hope it is!

EDIT: Door came in today, it's EXACTLY the same part as the Baja door! Same color & everything!