Seat swap wiring

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

mibracedude
Scoobytruck Lurker

Seat swap wiring

Post by mibracedude »

The drivers side seat upholstery is worn out on my 2006 Subaru baja. I found some seats in a junkyard that are heated and power seats that should fit the mounting bolt locations in the Baja. What I don't know is whether or not there is an existing wiring harness that I can just plug the new seats into and have them function with the heater and power features. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that might have encountered this situation and can offer some advice.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Seat swap wiring

Post by Guacamole »

Found this thread, might help:
viewtopic.php?t=1948
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Another option, depending on the price, could be getting any cracked panels replaced and the inside foam supports bolstered. Got mine done for around $300. Not sure how much replacement seats are...
Attachments
WP_20150703_003.jpg
WP_20150703_003.jpg (443.91 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
WP_20150609_003.jpg
WP_20150609_003.jpg (367.58 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
mibracedude
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mibracedude »

Those look GREAT! Thanks for the suggestion i will look into that. I can buy both front seats (heated and power) for $70. i figured if I could get these to work without having to put in a whole new circuit I would like that especially in our cold michigan winters.
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

I am planning the same swap. I picked up a whole car, should insure I have everything I need. However, when driving the parts car, I noticed the Legacy GT leather heated seats are much harder that the Baja seats. I hope I can take the heat element out and put in the Baja seats. I don't know if I will have time this fall to get to it, but if I do I will let you know what I discover.
2005 Baja Sport
rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

Greetings, everyone! This is my first post here after purchasing a 2003 Baja 5-speed stick in monotone silver less than a month ago. I had been on the hunt for about a year, and after seeing a number of them that were either way overpriced at dealers or too far from home, this viable candidate turned up right here in town.

I'd really like to outfit it with heated seats since I'm spoiled by the ones in my other car, so am checking the threads here to see how involved it would be.

My Baja has the same leather interior as in the pictures above. The guy I bought it from advised a new driver's seat had been installed and I'm seeing the same indentations on it after I get out of the car as the ones in the seat pictured above. I thought maybe there was something wrong, but I'm guessing it's normal after seeing those pix.
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

Congratulations on the local find. Yep, very very common problem. I have yet to address my seats, waiting for the summer when I can pull and clean everything outside.
2005 Baja Sport
mibracedude
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mibracedude »

Just finished a seat swap using a 2005 Outback donor seats that had power and heat. I suggest anyone that is going to tackle this to get the wiring harness and switches from the donor car as well. This a great resource for wiring:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf

Picking up the power for the seats was pretty straight forward by tapping into the solid existing blue wire in the wire bundle under the passenger seat. The diagram shows picking up power for the switches from a black/white wire and a violet wire. These can be found and spliced in the wires located under the storage tray that is under the ashtray. Took me a while to find these. Thought I'd mention this for anyone else that might be swapping seats. Ready for old man winter now.