Anything you don't like about your Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Anything you don't like about your Baja?

Post by cyphergirl »

In the spirit of the "what accessories would you have wanted" thread, I thought I'd start this thread.

My Baja is noisy as h*ll. I get way too much wind noise at the tops of the doors/windows. I can sometimes make it a bit quieter by putting the window down a smidge, but it depends on what my speed is.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I need more ground clearance for the offroad adventures. [smilie=holyshit.gif] Not much, just several inches. And the H6 would be nice for a bit more power. Mike
phillybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Anything you don't like about your Baja?

Post by phillybaja »

cyphergirl wrote:My Baja is noisy as h*ll. I get way too much wind noise at the tops of the doors/windows. I can sometimes make it a bit quieter by putting the window down a smidge, but it depends on what my speed is.
sometimes i notice the noise more than other times. there are times i think a window is open and i actually check to make sure everything's closed. it definitely gets noisier above 60.

it doesn't bother me so much because my last car was awful.

i noticed the other day that the seatbelt nicks up the plastic on the side by the seat where it hits after being released. that's kind of annoying.
2005 n/a monterey silver
Texas S
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Texas S »

These are pretty nit-picky, but:

The tint across the top of the windshield is right in my damn line of sight! At night especially, it makes it seem like my roof is even lower than it already is. Bogus.

Cargo light button totally hidden by the steering wheel. I often forget it's even there. Cruise button I can just barely see.

If I forget to put the license plate bracket down when I lower the tailgate, the little button frames rub on the bumper and scratch the paint on both.

The little glovebox in the rear seat... cool idea but couldn't it have been integrated more into the seat? Like upholstered as the seat but with the cupholders and could still lift it up to stash stuff?

Rear seat belts need some kind of retaining clip so they don't constantly get trapped behind the seat back when it gets folded up and down.

I'm usually in the car by myself, and the chrome finish on the passenger seat belt tongue reflects ALOT of light all around the cabin. All my windows are dark tinted. In Texas, where the sun is out the majority of days, and when your dog chases spots of light ( :roll: :lol: ), definitely bogus. Why chrome seatbelts tongues?

OBNOXIOUS PLASTIC CLADDING on the arse end. WTF were they thinking?

Tiny wheel well openings precluding all larger tire sizes. This is actually a major complaint for me.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Texas S wrote: Cargo light button totally hidden by the steering wheel. I often forget it's even there. Cruise button I can just barely see.
I agree with this one. I can't find the damn cargo lamp button!

Another gripe of mine is that the plastic bed and the plastic seat back (when I put the seat down) gets scratched way too easy. I have had the seat down a few times to help a friend move, and anything that touches it scratches it all to heck. Same with the bed. Don't slide anything on the bed as it will surely leave a nice, noticable scratch. [smilie=thumbdown.gif]
ScreaminMimi
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ScreaminMimi »

I agree with skimpy wheel wells, the skinny Potenzas are too dressy for the truck, it needs chubby tires.

The scratching of the plastic is a problem too. I'm disappointed that you can't use a full front end protector with the turbo... I'm told it interrupts the air flow.

My biggest problem is to get my right leg comfortable for the gas, it doesn't match the depth I need to press the clutch pedal to disengage it. I have to sit closer to the wheel than I would like, and when I lean forward I hit the visor.

Mild annoyances, I wouldn't give the car up because of them! :)
'78 Brat Stock 4 sp.
Ford Chrome Yellow/Red Decals
'86 Brat - T-tops, low topper - primer grey
'05 Baja Turbo 5 sp.
Monterey Silver/Brilliant Silver
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

jaxed wrote:Another gripe of mine is that the plastic bed and the plastic seat back (when I put the seat down) gets scratched way too easy. I have had the seat down a few times to help a friend move, and anything that touches it scratches it all to heck. Same with the bed. Don't slide anything on the bed as it will surely leave a nice, noticable scratch. [smilie=thumbdown.gif]
I second this one, drives me batty! I got a blanket for it, helps a little, but the scratches from the first time we used it are already there...

Better brakes would be nice, and more aftermarket availablity.

A better soft cover, that doesnt fray and is easier to get on & off in the cold.

The fact that they don't make them in Yellow any more, and that they didnt offer yellow as an option on the 04 turbo.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have noticed the nicks in the B pillar from the seat belts, but they were there when I bought it. As far as the bed scratching, I bought a bed mat for a Dodge Dakota, and cut it down to fit the Baja's bed. It was alot of work, took about an hour, and boy was my hand sore!! [smilie=grrrrrr.gif] But it works nice, and stuff doesn't slide around anymore. As far as the cladding on the box, it hides a bunch of indentations in the box, there is NO WAY you could remove it and have the thing look nice. You have to remember that this baby is based on a car, and the cladding seems to be a cheap way to make the box look decent without spending alot of cash to make all new exterior sheet metal. Mike
phillybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by phillybaja »

Texas S wrote: Rear seat belts need some kind of retaining clip so they don't constantly get trapped behind the seat back when it gets folded up and down.
good call.
2005 n/a monterey silver
phillybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by phillybaja »

the rear headrests should fold down or be removable. it surprises me that they aren't.
2005 n/a monterey silver
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

[smilie=holyshit.gif] Man we've found a lot!

Forward this thread to SOA!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

[smilie=damn.gif] Its amazin what you can find to change on the vehicle once you get a bunch of owners together!! Mike
su-be3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by su-be3 »

yellowblaze wrote:
jaxed wrote:Another gripe of mine is that the plastic bed and the plastic seat back (when I put the seat down) gets scratched way too easy. I have had the seat down a few times to help a friend move, and anything that touches it scratches it all to heck. Same with the bed. Don't slide anything on the bed as it will surely leave a nice, noticable scratch. [smilie=thumbdown.gif]
I second this one, drives me batty! I got a blanket for it, helps a little, but the scratches from the first time we used it are already there...

Better brakes would be nice, and more aftermarket availablity.

A better soft cover, that doesnt fray and is easier to get on & off in the cold.

The fact that they don't make them in Yellow any more, and that they didnt offer yellow as an option on the 04 turbo.
8) Yellowblaze, check out my post on the rear cover, see if it helps.
I have found my cover comes off and goes on much easier now!
I, too, agree with the aftermarket. Would like to see more parts available.
Keep it under 90, folks!
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

I miss not having the AWD/4WD on Demand with a Dual Range Tranny like the Brat.They should have stuck to shift on the fly,you don't need AWD all the time just bad weather.They should have made the sunroof an option so you could get more headroom.I never use mine,what a waste of money.Oh well maybe next time. :cry:
BajaJP
Scoobytruck Lurker

rear seat belt clips

Post by BajaJP »

well those who complained about this are in luck, it already has a system in place. At least my '03 sport does. There are little pockets in the seat back that they slide into to keep them where you can find them, work very nicely.

My pet peeve is one I had with my old Subaru Forester too, why the hell can't Subaru make a stereo with enough volume clicks that you can get the volume to the level you like? mine's always too loud or too soft.

Jp