Baja Raptor 2.0

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by Acro2pilot »

So, version 1 was this: http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/BAJA11.JPG

Baja NA with 4in lift and plans to go to to the H6, before completion it got rear ended and totalled.

On to the replacement. Picked up a 2004 Turbo and the first task was power. I was not going for a high peak HP number which is meaningless for off road performance, I wanted the broad flat torque profile of a 911 turbo. So I went with unequal length 1.5in primary headers, 2.5in catless up-pipe, TD05-20G ported turbo, Invidia 3in downpipe and a 3in dump out the tail. Injectors are 880ccs and the intake is a SPT into a Perrin inlet. OEM STi intercooler and high flow Ypipe. And of course TGV deletes and the usual tricks. Spool low and make torque.

Lift will be a 5 in from SJR, when you don't want to re-invent the wheel and need quality use SJR....

Wheels/tires are 18in with 255/50/18 with 20mm hub extensions.

Suspension is long travel 51mm coil overs.

Brakes are STi Brembo and EBC red pads.

I want to build the truck that Subaru would have built of they had a ample supply of Saki and wanted to compete with the Raptor.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by starr- »

Lets see some pictures!
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Pics will be coming soon. I assure you it is all going to be done.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

totalled? that truck is (was) the inspiration for all the plans I have yet to fund and install! :(
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I have been a long time BRAT builder, I initially held off on the Baja thanks to its dramatic reduction from the concept vehicle (loss of supercharger, dual range tranny, ride height etc..) But I need a daily driver truck so I bought an 06 Baja Sport and did the lift and realized what I had to do on top of that to make it as I wanted, and the Baja turbo was a better starting point. Since Baja 1.0 got rear ended and is gone Baja 2.0 is my new starting point.

To be honest, daily driver is an abnormal thing for me, currently it is an 800Hp ZL1 Camaro and the winter daily driver is the Baja so it needs to step up.

I plan on going much further than the first version.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Here is the first pic, all I have to do now is swap the midpipe and axleback then take it for the tune. I am using Mach V Motorsports in Sterling VA. Next up is the lift kit and some details like the carpet, front axles, and then the long wait till October when the tires I decided to use go into production in my size. I have the wheels and a set of STi brakes sitting around waiting on the tires. Time permitting I will probably get the coil overs done before the tires arrive.
Bajat1.jpg
Bajat1.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 24765 times
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Following. Sorry to hear about the previous one. Looking forward to a nice turbo build!
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

July 6th is the tuning appointment, wish they had something sooner but oh well. It drives in limp home mode with all the changes and all I need to do is swap the injectors when I pull up at the tuners.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Finally some progress to report. I had been sitting on the lift and suspension waiting till closer to the predicted time that the 255/55/18 KO2 tires would be available and started in on the lift last week. Much to my surprise the tires showed up as in stock at tirerack about 2 days ago and they showed up today! As it sits now the 5in lift is installed and coil overs are set to the same height as stock, I can adjust about 1.5 in up or 1.5 in down from how it sits now. The big metal bits of the lift are in and if all goes well I should have the various hoses and linkages etc all done this week. Then I have to sort out the intercooler and an air plenum for it, so maybe drive it next next week after the exhaust is done too? Then it is STi brakes, tube bumper, and then a dip job.
baja4.jpg
baja4.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 24514 times
Front coil overs:
baja5.jpg
baja5.jpg (965.84 KiB) Viewed 24514 times
Wheel and tire combo;
baja6.jpg
baja6.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 24514 times
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Wow, that looks mighty and impressive! How is the tire clearance? Any rubbing at full lock?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Tire clearance will be good in the rear after trimming about 1in from the front and 1/2 in from the rear of the wheel well, strictly speaking it is OK now but you need more for ice and mud to clear properly. The rear of the front wheel well is where any clearance issues could arise, I had minimal rubbing on my other lifted Baja with the same height tires and less lift that I had to resolve with some trimming and re-shaping. As soon as I get this truck on the road and see where any changes need to be made (if any) I will post those here.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

On to the brakes, an interesting project for sure. The fronts are STI 2004 rotors with STi Brembo calipers and Hawk brake pads. The rears shot the cost up a bit, caliper adapter brackets and special DBA rotors that have the STi outer diameter and the WRX(Baja) parking brake with adapters upped the total swap from $1600 t0 about $2200 but stopping this thing as fast as it goes is important.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I got all the supplies yeesterday to do the dip paint job on the truck, I am going with matte black. This is a great system for off road vehicles because you can peel and respray if you scrape it up, lots of neat finishes too; http://www.dipyourcar.com/Videos-and-Guides.html
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

so what is involved with wheel well trimming?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

In the rear, very little is needed. You can remove the plastic trim and cut off about an inch of excess metal, paint and reinstall the trim on the door side. On the mudflap side, same deal; remove mudflap cut away some plastic and re-install.

The front is fine ahead of the wheel. At the rear the trouble area is inside the rear part of the wheel well. The mudflap is easy to move back the same as you do in the rear, it mostly clears as is but by adding some space it looks better and allows mud/snow to eject. That inner rear corner is where your going to rub if you do. These tires are the same diameter as the other ones I used but I have an extra inch of lift starting off and can dial in more. If I need to, I will cut slits vertical in the metal and pound them in then TIG them back together and repaint.

I'll post pics before too long.