Baja Raptor 2.0

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

ebo03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: RE: Re: Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by ebo03 »

Acro2pilot wrote:The problem for the rears is that there are suspension bits exactly where the bracket should go. I am going to have to fab up a completely different back plate, probably out of 1/4 steel to clear the suspension. Currently I am running STi OEM pads in the Brembos up front, and EBC REDS in the rear and braking is very balanced.
Not possible to grind down the pieces to provide clearance? Here is a pic a guy posted when installing rear Brembos on his 06 Baja. He swapped aluminum arms from 05-09 Legacy which he said are much wider than the OEM steel Baja arm so he figured OEM arm would require much less grinding.

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by Acro2pilot »

That might be a classic case of "That looks legit"
ebo03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: RE: Re: Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by ebo03 »

Acro2pilot wrote:That might be a classic case of "That looks legit"
Haha not the prettiest thing but hey it is an option. I'm curious how much room is needed to clear the OEM piece. Any chance you have pics?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I didn't grab pics but the interference is total, pretty much a part where a part needs to be.
ebo03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ebo03 »

Oh I see. Maybe the aluminum arm above comes in at a different angle so grinding was an option.

I guess I'll find out when I get the Brembos in hand. Should be about 2 weeks out.
06SnailPup
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 06SnailPup »

Acro2pilot wrote:We Baja Turbo owners have an axle problem, almost every place lists the wrong axles and most aftermarket axles are nowhere near as good as the Subaru OEMs. After upping my HP and giving my 160k mile axles a beating on the dyno I could feel them starting to go. After looking around I found a solution that seems to be perfect, stronger than stock, as much range of travel as stock, and as luck would have it half the price. I called 1A Automotive about the Autopart International severe duty axles they listed for the Baja Turbo and explained my concern they might be incorrect and they took the time to look up stock spline, length, ABS ring, etc. specs and got back to me saying they matched, I was ready for something to be wrong but they installed perfectly and no surprises. They are much thicker than stock and weigh a good deal more. Part numbers are in the pic.
Put your scoob through anything that would test suspension articulation with the lift, axles, and shocks?

Does she still feel planted around corners?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Yes and VERY.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Hey Acro, quick question about your axles. I don't see on the 1A Auto site anything about replacement boots. The boots look different than the OEM boots, so do you know if they sell replacement boots for their axles? If torn inner boots are as common an issue as it sounds then not being able to replace the boots may be a deterrent to getting these axles.
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Those boots on CVs are all sourced from vendors, they are certainly used on other models. If I needed a replacement boot I would just measure inner and outer diameter and overall length and do a little research. Usually start with Porsche, for whatever reason they end up matching allot of stuff.

In case someone asks this is but one source of boots listed by size and part number, with typical applications: http://www.interparts.com/pdf/Numerical ... CVBoot.pdf If I needed boots for anything, I would start here, it probably covers 90% of whats on the road.
alcyone
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by alcyone »

thank you so much! for doing the legwork in figuring these axles out. i purchased a set today and totally fixed all my vibration issues. also purchased a Perrin Pitch Stop Mount & Group N engine and trans mounts to further stiffen it up. This thing is quirky and hard to get parts for with a Legacy chassis and Impreza drivetrain, but i'm figuring it out.
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT - HD Axles, Perrin Int Hose & PS Mount + Group N Mounts, HKS DP/BOV, IAG lines
2009 BMW 535I 6MT - JB4+BEF, BMS DCI, Custom Exhaust, VRSF Charge Pipe + Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, Hawk Brakes,
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

You summed up our truck very well, and that is why Subarus are so cool, they are like lego blocks, just snap together what you want from 40 years of parts!
alcyone
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by alcyone »

So, after months of dealing with the oddball scenarios (blown 5mt trans, blown turbo, broken oil lines, and TGV failure), I finally go it running right. First of all, Those axles worked perfectly! Thanks! I also got a forester XT ecu, Cobb AP, HKS downpipe, Perrin intake hose & pitch stop mount, Group N engine and trans mounts, and got a WRX intercooler cheap as dirt.
I really want to install the same Terra Grapplers you have, but i don't want to lift it. So, i have to figure out what I have to do to make enough clearance to fit them with as little lift as possible. And suggestions?
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT - HD Axles, Perrin Int Hose & PS Mount + Group N Mounts, HKS DP/BOV, IAG lines
2009 BMW 535I 6MT - JB4+BEF, BMS DCI, Custom Exhaust, VRSF Charge Pipe + Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, Hawk Brakes,
swootton
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by swootton »

So I need to ask, after 2 years with the upgraded axles, what is your feeling on them. I have axle issues, stock 2006 Turbo Auto and looking to "upgrade" The factory axles are $300 each so trying to save a bit of money as well. Are they still holding up? Any axle vibration or other issues?

Thanks in advance,
Steve