A few questions you all may be able to help with.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

NintendoWayne
Scoobytruck Lurker

A few questions you all may be able to help with.

Post by NintendoWayne »

So in my 1st post I mentioned I am new Baja owners. Well that applies for Subarus in general. I am not too keen on mechanics, but all of my buddies who are have told me I bought an AWD headache. I'm loving it so far! No hiccups or anything. My first tank of gas got nearly 400 miles, but my second got only 300ish. I'm thinking that she needs a good tune up of sorts though. She's got 86 and then some thousand miles at the moment, which doesn't seem like much to me for an 03, but comes from Arizona and there is red dirt everywhere. Besides a good cleaning, where should I start? Air filters for sure. I also have a 06 TDI Jetta that is pretty particular with oil, coolant and other fluids. Are Bajas the same? Anything I should be avoiding at all costs? Gas type? Ethenol free? I know the warning says unleaded only, I can abide by that, but anything else? Additives maybe? Any fairly easy DIY projects to improve anything?

I tried looking for a new owners thread, but didn't see anything. But I was on a phone at the time. Any links would be helpful.

Thanks!
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Re: A few questions you all may be able to help with.

Post by Nitro350Z »

They Subie drivetrain is pretty solid, don't know why you've been told it's an awd headache. If they haven't been done, the basics I would recommend for a new-to-you car is all fluids (oil, gearbox, diff, coolant, PS), new airfilter and sparkplugs. An Italian tune-up and/or a vacuum hose seafoam treatment might be in order too.

The PS fluid is just ATF and it's simple to do partial drain and refills, if looks clear and red then it's good. Oil is dead simple in these, same with the airfilter, the MT gearbox is pretty simple to drain and fill, don't have experience with the AT but a drain and flush shouldn't be too difficult either, sparkplugs on the NA are dead simple, you just have to move the air intake out of the way for one side, and possibly move the battery and/or washer fluid tank out of the way for the other side. For coolant, go OEM and add the conditioner. The head gaskets are a common issue, but most cases are caused by lack of maintenance for the coolant system and/or incorrect coolant being used. If they've been replaced, the MLS (multi-layer steel) gaskets are the upgraded ones and they're bulletproof for the most part. Plug wires shouldn't need replacement unless you have misfire symptoms. Doesn't require anything special for oil and reg. gas is fine in the NA.

If the timing service hasn't been done, it's overdue based on time (mileage is under, but it's time to do it now). Don't just cheap out and get the belt, the pulleys, tensioner, and waterpump should be done at the same time, if they're skipped at the service then you have a ticking time bomb. Fortunately Gates makes a kit with everything you'd need.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

Double check the year, but this is the t-belt kit I just ordered for my '06: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TU ... UTF8&psc=1

Price ain't bad. Warm weather needs to get here soon, so I can put it on without freezing my fingers off.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
speedwaygirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by speedwaygirl »

I'll be ordering the Turbo version in a couple of weeks. Bought my latest Baja with 106K miles on it and it needs ALL that service. It will be worth it though! :D
2006 OBP Baja Turbo 5MT
NintendoWayne
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NintendoWayne »

Awesome! Maybe I'll do one fluid change per payday and then the plugs, then timing belt, pullies and whatnots all at once. Everything is seemingly good now, just want to stay on top of it all before it blows up.

Thanks!
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

speedwaygirl wrote:I'll be ordering the Turbo version in a couple of weeks. Bought my latest Baja with 106K miles on it and it needs ALL that service. It will be worth it though! :D
Are you needing a timing kit for a turbo baja? I have a extra kit since my wife totalled hers a few weeks ago....
NintendoWayne
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NintendoWayne »

Mike, and shot you recovered a driver side rear view mirror from the wreck? Someone stole mine, :\
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Sorry to hear that but no.....I got her Wheels and tires for a second set for myself....And the bed extender with brackets.....
speedwaygirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by speedwaygirl »

Mike: I'll send you PM so I don't thread hijack!
2006 OBP Baja Turbo 5MT