Grabber AT2 in the snow?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Grabber AT2 in the snow?

Post by BlueRu »

I'm coming up on tire time, and considering General Tire's Grabber AT2, as it's one of the few light truck tires offered in a compatible size. The 215/65R16 is in a small range of sizes noted "Not Rated For Severe Snow" and therefore does not carry the "Mountain/Snowflake" rating symbol.

Does anyone have experience with this tire in the snow? If it just misses the threshold, it might be OK, since in general, this tire outperforms every other all-weather radial in Tirerack.com's survey.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ru
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Grabber AT2 in the snow?

Post by theluckyone17 »

I haven't yet; just put my set on this spring. I'll let you know when the first significant snowfall hits, though. 8)
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

Thanks for the reply.

How do they perform on the road? From what I've read, they're a good balance of off-road, on-road, and snow. But with some sizes (specifically ours) not meeting the 3PMSF requirements, that seems to vary.

I've found a good price on Firestone Precision Tourings, which appear to be the best winter performer among the passenger radials. I'll see how his price on the Grabbers compares.

Ru

P.S. Are you running the 215/65R16, or another size? Any issues with clearance in the wheel well?
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

Yep. I'm running 215/65R16's, off the top of my head. I've got a two inch lift installed, so the tires clear without a problem. No rubbing at all.

Performance... they've put up with my dry & wet road antics well enough, but I'm driving a NA Baja. The most I can hope for is some spirited cornering :lol:. Still waiting for the snow to hit. Haven't been off-roading or mudding with her yet, either... cash flow has been constricted lately, and I don't want to break my daily driver when I'm short on cash. That's just asking for a problem.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Running the 215 65 16 with No lift and No rubbing..... So far I'm very pleased with these tires...... Played on snow,ice, dirt, and mud without any problems
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

I ended up going with Firestone Precision Touring. On Tirerack.com, they had the best ratings for snow and ice performance of any all-season radial. And I found them for a price that I couldn't pass up.

We're supposed to get a little snow today or tonight. so we'll see how they do.

'Ru