Need CV shaft help! RockAuto has wrong part numbers listed?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

AintGotNoSol
Scoobytruck Lurker

Need CV shaft help! RockAuto has wrong part numbers listed?

Post by AintGotNoSol »

I own an '06 Baja Turbo, Manual Transmission.

I ordered a pair of Front CV axle shafts from rockauto.com recently, and received the style with the FEMALE inner joint. Once I actually got around to pulling my axles, I quickly realized that mine have MALE inners.

I was already aware that there are two styles of axle, one has male shafts at both ends, and the other has a female inner joint with a pin to secure it to the transmission's male shaft (but I did not know which was which, since I'd never swapped them in a Baja before, and just assumed that RockAuto had them listed correctly, since I've NEVER had any problems with their catalog). I looked at several other supplier websites, and there is conflicting info. Advance Auto lists Male for Turbo AT, Female for Turbo MT. AutoZone lists female for all engine/transmission options.

A few other suppliers, as well as a few people on this forum, have it broken down like this (which I am inclined to believe):

Male inner = Turbo
Female inner = NA
(and it doesn't matter whether it's AT or MT)

Is this information correct? Please let me know if I am mistaken.

RockAuto has the female style listed for all NA and Turbo models, except one listing for Male style for the Turbo AT.

I called the customer service to request a refund, and inform them that their catalog has the incorrect part numbers listed. They are refunding my original payment for the axles, but not for shipping, though they are paying the return shipping. They claim the best they can do is split the shipping costs, because they list the part numbers that their manufacturers provide them, and they have conflicting parts from numerous manufacturers. (basically, they think I just ordered the wrong ones, but they can't prove it lol)

I have also read several times that Forester XT Turbo front CV shafts are the same as the Baja Turbo. I'd like to verify this before I order them, and make sure I get the right ones. I assume I just need them for the same year, 2006 Forester XT?

Thanks in advance!!!
-Doug
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Need CV shaft help! RockAuto has wrong part numbers lis

Post by hocrest »

Yeah, Forester Turbo should work.

I would fight more to refund the shipping. Give them 3 days to confirm that they have the wrong listing, then let them know you'll contact your CC company to charge back the shipping.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

I just went to re-boot mine two days ago and it fell apart on removal. I scrambled to find a replacement locally and ran into the same issue.

Ordered one for a 05' turbo 5 speed from O'Reilly and it arrived at the local store 2 hours later. I opened the box to find female DOJ side. I told them it was wrong and they said "the computer said it is the right one" even the computer pictured the female end.

I informed her that those looked like naturally aspirated axles and we determined the ones listed for the Baja turbo automatic were the correct ones. She made some phone calls to have the database corrected and ordered the turbo automatic axle. They arrived after another 3 hour wait and I compared it to the one that came out and they looked to be compatible. The FXT should be the same axles as our Bajas as well.

I decided to reassemble the DOJ with fresh grease and a new boot because the one that came from the auto parts store was a pile of crap. I am planning on returning it.

Also a question for you guys- The turbo 5 speed front axles, DOJ (inboard) joint, is there supposed to be a snap ring that retains the axle shaft to the joint? All of the other Subaru axles I have taken apart have had a snap ring around the inside diameter of the DOJ housing that keep the axle shaft captured in the joint. When I went to remove this one, there was no snap ring. The only thing keeping it together was the boot and the fact that it was captured between the transmission and hub. With the boot torn, when i went to pull it out of the trans (already removed from hub side) with almost no effort the whole thing slid right out of the joint, which remained connected to the front diff. Is this normal?

Also, can you post pictures of the axles that came from Rockauto? I am curious as to the quality and appearance of them.
AintGotNoSol
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by AintGotNoSol »

I think I may call them back this evening and try to get my shipping refunded again. I do believe I paid with PayPal, so maybe I can get it refunded thru them.

I'm sorry, I didn't get any pics, and I've already sent them back. I used the SureTrack brand, (its a new unit, not remanufactured) which I have also previously used in my 4WD Civic Wagon (which is lowered A LOT), and I have no complaints at all. They seem to be a decent quality part. Keep in mind, I have only put about 250 miles on my Civic since I put the axles in 6 months ago, but so far so good! They definitely don't LOOK like cheaply made crap, so I'm hoping they hold up.

As far as the snap ring, I didn't see one on mine, but didn't think anything of it, since didn't actually have enough clearance to get them all the way out yet. I need to unbolt my spindles and get some more room. Once I noticed that mine had a male end on the axle, I wasn't really in a hurry to pull the old ones anymore (I had some other car projects to work on, and figured I had to wait for parts again anyway). So I'm not sure if it has a snap ring or not. I THOUGHT I read that they are supposed to, but I guess I'll see when I get them out / when the new ones arrive.

BTW, anybody know if I can get enough clearance by just unbolting the two bolts from the spindle to the strut assembly? Or will I need to pop my lower ball joint out?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

You can get enough clearance from pulling the strut to knuckle bolts.

A word on CV shafts, having a lifted Baja I run them at a higher angle and put them through more than most. I have experienced the difference between OEM and others and in this case these is no off the shelf substitute for the factory part. I tried two different CVs and neither one had the same travel as the Subaru ones. One of them even caused a vibration by binding on rotation. The SOA ones run smoothly at increased angles. You would probably never see the difference on a street use Scooby with no heavy hauling, but beware that the OEM ones are superior in construction!
AintGotNoSol
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by AintGotNoSol »

Okay I just got my axles out and have a few updates. First, Hawk, I think I misunderstood you before. Reading it again, now I think you meant there was a snap ring holding the joint itself together. I was thinking of the snap ring on the splines on the shaft that goes into the transmission. Anyway, the shaft going into the transmission definitely has a snap ring on my axles. One of my inner boots is torn all to hell, and separating. It does not appear that there is any sort of snap ring holding the joint together. If the boot was completely cut, then the joint would easily separate. There is some kind of green plastic ring, that is contoured to the shape of the inner diameter of the joint sleeve, or cup I should say. I can't tell if this is supposed to hold it together, but I really doubt it. He doesn't really look like it would be strong enough.

Now, about removing the axles. I was able to get both of them out by just removing the two strut to knuckle bolts. But it was insaely tough. The angles I had to put the outer CV joints through or unhealthy to say the least lol. I do not feel comfortable putting my new axle through that sort of punishment. Maybe I'm not seeing something right, is there some other way to get more clearance to get the axles in and out? I literally had to use two pry bars on them force the knuckle and the axle apart far enough to get them out.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Take the spindle lose at the lower ball joint and it will be a cake walk
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Thanks, yeah there is a snap ring that holds the splined shaft into the front diff, but I did not see one holding the axle to the inner joint. Basically, if the axle is not installed, the boot was the only thing holding the inner joint on.

I typically remove the front swaybar endlink bolt, then I remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the ball joint and pull the control arm down away from the knuckle to pop the ball joint out of the control arm. That way you can swing the knuckle out giving plenty of room to remove the axle and you also wont lose your alignment.

I believe the service manual tells you to remove the pinch bolt from the knuckle and pop the ball joint out of the knuckle instead, but on a car that sees salt this is looking for trouble as the pinch bolt and ball joint will most likely be seized.
AintGotNoSol
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by AintGotNoSol »

I'll pull the ball joint. Maybe I'll get really lucky and I won't need a ball joint separator!

Not likely lol.