Plasti-dipped interior trim!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Wingzero_ac19x
Scoobytruck Contributer

Plasti-dipped interior trim!

Post by Wingzero_ac19x »

So I've still got a couple of cans of plastidip laying around and decided to mess around some with the Baja. To be honest all the silver trim in the Baja interior has pretty well lost it's luster to me and I wanted something different. Keep in mind this is just the beginning:
Before:

Painting:

Installed:
I take life like a duck; calm and collective on the surface, paddling like heck underneath
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Plasti-dipped interior trim!

Post by mikenmel08 »

Looks good
Wingzero_ac19x
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Wingzero_ac19x »

Thanks a lot! I'm planning on doing the power door control trim as well. Will post once complete if anyone is interested.
I take life like a duck; calm and collective on the surface, paddling like heck underneath
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

I started painting mine with the door pieces and haven't made it to the dash yet... lol
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

brilliant!
how easy was it to remove the moldings?
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
Wingzero_ac19x
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Wingzero_ac19x »

They are easy to remove, mostly just clips except for around ash tray. You will have to disconnect the wiring for the cigarette lighter and the three switches in the left dash trim (Bed light, fogs and cruise in my case). But even that part is easy as the plugs and switches are color coded on the back. Start with the shifter bezel and pull up gently from the bottom (towards E-brake) it should pop right up. Once it clears the shifter, the little rubber tray insert will need to be removed (may or may not have screws holding it). Then you can pull the ash tray out and in the top edge there should be screws (mine were missing :( ) Take them out and pull from the bottom edge of the trim towards one side or the other and it should start popping free. Be sure to disconnect cigarette lighter wiring before pulling too much. Same method with left trim, pull from side accessible next to steering column and then disconnect switch harnesses. Just take your time and have patience and all will go well.