looking at buying a 2003 baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Zachh
Scoobytruck Lurker

looking at buying a 2003 baja

Post by Zachh »

New to the forum, I've been looking for a baja for awhile now, and I've came across a 2003 baja sport 5spd n/a with 118k on it prefect shape. I was going to offer him between $5,000 and $5,500. do you guys think this would be a fair price for it? Any problems to specifically to look for on these?

Thanks,
Zach
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: looking at buying a 2003 baja

Post by Killer B »

Not to sound pessimistic but I don't think you have a chance in the world offering that little. (but it also depends where you live. In Washington Bajas seem to go for much higher) Even the 2003's have been going for $8000 minimum. My 2003 was $9995 and it had more miles on it than the one you're looking at. The dealer would also not budge on the price. These are very rare cars and the people selling them have been using it to their advantage to keep the price high for them.

Also, be sure to check the head gaskets and other oil leaks on the one you're looking at. Head gaskets are the 2003 Baja Achilles heel. They usually start to go out at over 100k miles like clockwork. Mine had leaking head gaskets that the dealer hid from us that needed to be fixed right after getting it.
Zachh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Zachh »

Killer B wrote:Not to sound pessimistic but I don't think you have a chance in the world offering that little. (but it also depends where you live. In Washington Bajas seem to go for much higher) Even the 2003's have been going for $8000 minimum. My 2003 was $9995 and it had more miles on it than the one you're looking at. The dealer would also not budge on the price. These are very rare cars and the people selling them have been using it to their advantage to keep the price high for them.

Also, be sure to check the head gaskets on the one you're looking at. They usually start to go out at over 100k miles. Mine had leaking head gaskets that the dealer hid from us that needed to be fixed right after getting it.
Thanks for the info! but without really even talking him down the guy already said he would do $6k and said he could go lower. It seems like a really good deal.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

That's an amazing deal and I would jump on it! I doubt you'd ever find a Baja for that low. Just really check those head gaskets because that will be another $2500 or more to fix, but at least they replace many other engine components at the same time (such as timing belt and water pump, etc) while the engine is already out. They did that for me and I basically have a rebuilt engine now.
Zachh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Zachh »

They said they already had the timing belt done with reciepts from the subaru dealership, but I'll be sure to check on the headgaskets. I'll hopefully be picking it up this weekend.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

FWIW I got my 05 turbo a/t just over a month-ish ago out of LA (california) for $8400 with 138K miles and recent timing belt change.

But locally, an 06 Turbo with 120K is listed at 12K, and there's another closer to 17K nearby.

Sometimes you get lucky. Some people see an "old car" and want to get rid of it. One man's trash, etc.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

That's great news on the timing belt. Be sure to post pics when you get it!
bearrowland
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bearrowland »

I grabbed mine for $8k with the financing prearranged, and thought I got a steal. I love mine and haven't had a payment this low in decades!