Saying goodbye to the '06 Baja...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Saying goodbye to the '06 Baja...

Post by klapool »

My issue is the fact that at 90,000 miles it is considered "Normal" to spend $4000 on new head gaskets, water pump, serpentine belt, timing belt, timing belt idlers, timing belt gears, radiator upper and lower hoses, major transmission service, spark plugs and wires. new battery and alignment...
Traded it in on a 2014 Nissan Frontier SL V6 4X4. It comes with the bed extender and sprayed in bedliner .
I did get $9500 for it on trade.

Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Saying goodbye to the '06 Baja...

Post by Rizzo »

That is not normal.

Mechanic tired to stiff you or you let it go too long.

The head gaskets, and the timing belt is all the normal 90K service calls for.

I can't speak about the trans, I don't know what happened there...
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Sounds like they want to just drive something and never do any preventive maintenance...
Trucklett
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Trucklett »

I had this same conversation on the FB page. Cars require maintenance. Subaru 2.5 liter engines require head gaskets. It's a fact of life. And if you bought a 2.5 liter Subie without learning about head gaskets, then shame on you. It's been a problem since the late 90's. I know. I had one of those. My father put a whole new motor in my late 90's Subie because of them. He put a new motor in my mother's late 90's Subie. And we are STILL Subaru people. It's the price of ownership. You budget for it. You know that at between 90k and 105K you have BIG $$$$ maintenance....maybe head gaskets, but definitely water pump, timing belt, tensioners, etc. You budget for it. You know then that you have another 100K miles on your Subie. It's like another lifetime for your car. I'll shut up now. :) And even my gas guzzling 2005 Turbo Baja will get better gas mileage than that Frontier..... just sayin'
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Rizzo »

My gas tank is almost empty and the truck is dirty.

I may sell mine too.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Rizzo wrote:My gas tank is almost empty and the truck is dirty.

I may sell mine too.
Lmao
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

Trucklett wrote:I had this same conversation on the FB page. Cars require maintenance. Subaru 2.5 liter engines require head gaskets. It's a fact of life. And if you bought a 2.5 liter Subie without learning about head gaskets, then shame on you. It's been a problem since the late 90's. I know. I had one of those. My father put a whole new motor in my late 90's Subie because of them. He put a new motor in my mother's late 90's Subie. And we are STILL Subaru people. It's the price of ownership. You budget for it. You know that at between 90k and 105K you have BIG $$$$ maintenance....maybe head gaskets, but definitely water pump, timing belt, tensioners, etc. You budget for it. You know then that you have another 100K miles on your Subie. It's like another lifetime for your car. I'll shut up now. :) And even my gas guzzling 2005 Turbo Baja will get better gas mileage than that Frontier..... just sayin'
And as mentioned on that fb page, the dealership made a come up and you paid a bit too much for those repairs lol