i had a pretty busy saturday...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

i had a pretty busy saturday...

Post by cliffhanger »

so i put in the 3" turboback exhaust from xcceleration/random tech today, along with a perrin lightened crank pulley and a gpmoto short ram intake and... holy $4i@# is this thing fun now!! there was nothing to difficult about any of the installs, except i cant figure out how to get that silencer elbow in the fender well out and i think i have a small exhaust leak now (can be taken care of by tightening whichever nuts/studs are loose) but other than that, everything is perfect!! the exhaust is a lot throatier now, you can hear the turbo spool up, and the engine revs up faster... overall the perfect combo for a beginning into mods... i put the exhaust in this morning (took me from about 1030 to 1230 w/ a break for a snack), the pulley took about 30 min, and the intake took about 30 min (these times include getting the tools out and putting them away :o ) so overall :twisted: :D :mrgreen:
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Sounds like everything worked well you you, I love to hear the way that thing sounds now. Thats real good time for the installs, you got air tools? Whats the beast like to work on under the hood ? I have had a range of difficulty with vechiles to work on - suburban was sit down on the fender and the plugs were right there to change. The vette was curse and crawl under/over to change plugs. The BMW was where the hell are the plugs?

Bob
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

no, no air tools, just had somewhere to go at 1pm :P the hardest part for the exhaust was getting the old one out (about an hour and a half) , and then the new one went right in (exhaust hangers were exhausting though!!); the intake was in and out real quick, with no problems and a noticeable gain in performance! and the pulley was only hard to get loose. i had to use a 2 foot cheater bar on a 1/2" drive 22mm socket (in case you're wondering what you'll need) :) yeah, this thing scoots now and sounds really great, and i can take pics tomorrow when it gets light again...
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

oh yeah... if you are going to loosen/swap belts, subaru has a real wierd way to get them back to factory tightness... i would recommend just marking the adjusting screws before you loosen them. i got a few new cuts from the exhaust install, the turbo outlet was a pita to take off and its real close quarters, but it wasnt too bad... i had the baja on wheel ramps when i did this... 8)
BajaT05
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaT05 »

Hey man, I live in Norfolk too since I go to school here. I would like to see your Baja and also hear it since I might want to buy that same TBE, but I dont like loud cars anymore so I need to listen to it to decide. Maybe we can meet one of these days....
Alex
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

sure, no prob man, but this week is real busy for me, maybe this weekend? let me know what is good for you
BajaT05
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaT05 »

Yeah this weekend might be good...If I dont go home because I need to fix my dub. I let you know.
baha
Scoobytruck Lurker

cliff, tell us more!

Post by baha »

These are just the mods I want to make! how is it working out?

I'm really interested in inproving :wink: MPG, and would wonder if you could behave for a tank of gas or so to let us know it there is any improvement?
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: cliff, tell us more!

Post by jaxed »

baha wrote:These are just the mods I want to make! how is it working out?

I'm really interested in inproving :wink: MPG, and would wonder if you could behave for a tank of gas or so to let us know it there is any improvement?
LOL.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

ok :( i suppose i can try... but its just so much fun to smoke acuras and civics!! probably by next week ill have a 'behaved' tank of gas... :D
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Behave for a tank of gas?????? Thats hard for me to do with my 03 n/a Baja!!!!! :lol: :lol: Mike
baha
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by baha »

Thanks, I know it's going to be really hard to do.

My take (and hope) on these mods it that it may give you just a little better mileage.

My driving is at 5,000 to 7,000 ft of elevation, on rural roads, top highway speed is 65, and I'm getting 24 to 25 mpg. I would love to have a car that runs like my Baja that got 28.

I choose the turbo over the NA because heavier cars get worse mileage here due to climbing hills, and thinner air. Diesels without turbos are useless here.

One of the first guys who put on the randomtech exhaust talked with me on the phone, and he can't tell if the MPG is better, cause it's way too much fun.

He did say that the MAF would think its lean, and send more fuel. If he is right, it may be neutralize any potential MPG gain, or even make it worse.

For years, I have been teasing my wife, who likes little cars that have some good acceleration, that her perfect car would be:

a AWD Corvette, with rear seats, hatchback, with a small bed for hauling, which gets 40 mpg.

The Baja is close.