lift kit start

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

65Jeffrey
Scoobytruck Lurker

lift kit start

Post by 65Jeffrey »

Been lurking here awhile now joining in.
2003 Baja box stock commuter that gets an honest 27mpg even at my 7500ft elevation. 40 miles each way 10 miles mountain dirt and then 30 miles Interstate....reliability is an absolute.
Having said that, I want to make some mild modifications starting with a minor lift. This is a lift for clearance NOT for looks. As I understand it 2005/2006 struts will gain me an inch? If I then add spacers I can get another inch or two? If I go three inches high will I run into any other problems? line or shaft length due to new geometry? Do I need to stop at 2 inches?
Thanks for any input very impressed by this little cars abilitys don't want to change it drastically just tweak it a bit.
Last edited by 65Jeffrey on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Re: left kit start

Post by sfeather11 »

Hey there,
2005/6 springs will get you an inch, not struts. You can also add 1" spacer blocks at each corner. I've been running this exact spring/block combo on my '03 for a few years now and have not had any issues. I'm planning on going to 2" blocks in the rear in the future, though it may be a while before that happens. I like the looks of the higher rear end a little better. You should have an alignment done after everything is in to adjust any camber changes. Other than that, get it done and rock and roll! No other changes are needed...

Peace! [smilie=666.gif]
65Jeffrey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: lift kit start

Post by 65Jeffrey »

thanks for the input, 140K on it DO NOT want to risk its reliability
65Jeffrey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 65Jeffrey »

best place to get struts and springs? spacers?
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

I just went to the dealer :shock: for the springs and rear struts. Spring prices weren't too bad and I wanted to make sure they were the correct ones. I did not replace the fronts struts, and the only reason I did the rears was because the spring mount welds broke on one of them going over rr tracks. As for the spacers, I ordered a sheet of 1" HDPE (plastic) and cut them out myself (with templates of course). I can send you the files if you'd like. If you look around on ebay, you may find home made ones anywhere between $100 to $200 or so. Xcceleration.com sells a beautiful set made out of aluminum, but I think they are way expensive and in my opinion not necessary to be made out of aluminum...

Peace! [smilie=666.gif]
RSB
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RSB »

Does anyone have the templates handy for the Baja strut spacers lift?. Got a chunk of 2" HDPE looking to lift my 2003 baja.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

RSB wrote:Does anyone have the templates handy for the Baja strut spacers lift?. Got a chunk of 2" HDPE looking to lift my 2003 baja.
PM sent
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

bajaguy wrote:
RSB wrote:Does anyone have the templates handy for the Baja strut spacers lift?. Got a chunk of 2" HDPE looking to lift my 2003 baja.
PM sent
Any way i can get that template also??
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

Sorry guys, haven't logged on in a few days...

Takaaco: PM sent (at least I think it went out :) )
El.Baja.Fresh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by El.Baja.Fresh »

Is it really that easy to add the 1" spacers? Just remove stock top hat studs and pop these guys on?

Do I have to do anything else to the steering, breaklines, or something else I am not thinking about?

Can someone please explain why this is so simple? Sorry in advance for being dense.
randy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by randy »

Just remove spring and strut assembly. Hammer out old stud, install longer stud, then install spacer.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Here are some pictures that will help you get an idea of the process:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 199&type=3

This was an 02 Outback Sport - we make/machine spacers for the Baja at Gorilla Offroad Company

I won't say its a simple job - I mean on paper it is. But you need to separate the spring and strut assembly and then put it back together. But its the reinstall on the car/truck that isn't necessarily a one man job. Keeping brake lines and all the other stuff you mentioned in place, you might have to remove the sway bar, but even then if you might have a hard time getting everything put back together - specially if you're installing replacement struts (which I would recommend if you're near needing them).

Hope that helps.