Baja WRX - Car? Truck? Turbo!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja WRX - Car? Truck? Turbo!

Post by Nitro350Z »

Yeah, I've contacted them before, and I think I'll be in contact with them again to see what my chances look like after the latest issues.

Small update, Veloster finally got another radio/nav unit. Nav has been functioning for the past hour so far. Starting the clock to see when this one decides to be screwy.

Anyway, wen't through some old and newer pictures when I got tired of long study nights.

That's all for now.
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Hyundai reliability: http://youtu.be/hK9foLgkAK4

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahahjaja
bearrowland
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bearrowland »

Beautiful pics on a beautiful ride!! Great job! :D
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

^ Thanks, I've got to still work on my photography, It's still kinda hit and miss at times. Practice makes perfect though.

Nothing too exciting has happened with the Baja, but the Veloster is a treasure trove of fun times.

A few days after we filed the CAMVAP claim, the dealer wanted to once again tinker with the car, we politely told them we're awaiting a reply form CAMVAP and that we would like to hear from them before we book any more service in. Well, turns out they ran to the manufacturer and stated that we refused to have the issue repaired. The manufacturer replied back to CANVAP stating such and refuses to participate in arbitration based on that. GOOD JOB GUYS! Apparently almost a years worth of diagnostics and throwing radio's at the problem isn't enough for them. So alright, I'll let them try yet another fix, and I'm reopening another CAMVAP claim the second they are unable to repair the issue.

Trying to get in contact with the service department is near impossible too, keep getting voicemail boxes so left a message wit h the receptionist for them to give me a call back today. (It has usually taken them ~3 days to reply if I leave a voicemail, I want to get this circus show over with sooner rather than later)

And since text is pretty boring to read sometimes, here's some pretty pictures for you guys/girls to enjoy!

Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

No news to report on the Arbitration front, all's quiet. There is Baja news though.

First up, I went through more old photos looking for ones I like, here's three more I have found.

And now for today's news. On the way into Uni I heard a small suspension knock from the front (could have been a coincidence) while accelerating at full throttle, afterwards I got a vibration (from the front I think) when accelerating quickly, no other noises or vibrations under any other conditions, Quickly taking a look when I parked, I couldn't see anything underneath and just driving along or accelerating at a normal pace yielded no symptoms. I park and go about my day, hoping it's nothing serious.

Finish off my day, and start heading home, now the symptoms are a bit worst, every once in a while there would be a *ting* noise, as though something was binding. Took it to a nearby carwash to get some of the grime off the car before taking the wheel off to properly asses the situation.

Hey look, I found my noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5J58Po_N5I

Looks like the inner CV joint on the driver side front axle is shattered, something let go in there and I'll have to replace it. Decided that it should be able to limp home if kept my speed down and accelerated gently. I set the DCCD to higher lockup to try to keep everything spinning together under acceleration, and off I went. Limped safely home and now I've got to shop around for an axle.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

is the DCCD a manual transmission-only thing?

Not sure if I need it, but another button is always a good thing, amirite? :)
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Zombaja wrote:is the DCCD a manual transmission-only thing?

Not sure if I need it, but another button is always a good thing, amirite? :)
The DCCD is an STI transmission only thing, although the auto trans subies get a clutch style center diff they're not inherently driver controlled. I think there might some controller available for them, but the most I've seen that I remember is some wiring guides to either have full lock or full unlock at the flick of a switch. The 5 speed manuals get a viscous coupling for the center diff, so no way to control that.

This might help explain: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1795630-post3.html

Since this trans isn't installed in an STI anymore, and the ECU is a WRX one, I opted to go with an aftermarket DCCD controller, the DCCDPro controller, I've liked it so far and haven't had any issues with it.

Some news with the Veloster, Hyundai disagree's with us and CANVAP and is officially contesting that we have a valid claim for arbitration. They're dragging this out as long as possible with them reply as late as legally possible, and once this matter is settled then we can actually begin the arbitration process. I know for certain that I will personally never own another Hyundai simply based on how they are acting as a company. Based on how difficult they are trying to make this process, I'm guessing this might not lead anywhere anytime soon. Oh well, the dealer still has agreed to replace the dashboard (although when, who knows?) and it's going in on this Tuesday for them to attempt another fix for the navigation.

I've pretty much set my mind that I don't want to keep this thing around long term. Worst case, I'll keep it for another year, year and a half, and sell it. I keep trying to think of what to replace it with and I'm not sure. Ended up looking at a used Audi A3 Quattro at one of the dealers, I like the styling of it and it looks stunning in red, but the interior was a little cramped and getting in you have to be careful or else you'll smack your head. The steering wheel felt really really nice in my hands, I think it solidified my want for a nicer steering wheel in the Baja, the GT-Spec D-shaped wheel is the one I've been eyeing for a while now.

Otherwise I've just been juggling wants, needs, and price and I can't decide where I want to end up with the next car.

Flat Foot Shifting is one of the probable causes for my axle reconsidering it's role in the drivetrain as of late, I'm really fond of using it and have it setup prefect for buttery smooth shifts, so essentially no torque on the shift directly to full torque on clutch release. Launch control I reserve for ****s and giggles on loose surfaces to minimize driveline shock. There's also the fact that they're WRX axles and not nearly as beefy as even the STI axles. I guess I'll just have to start treating them as consumables at this power level, going custom high torque axles is pricey, and I'd rather sacrifice an axle to the torque gods than a trans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE0GAj0aB-g

But honestly, with how ****ty the roads have become, it wouldn't surprise me if this was from just hitting a hidden pothole under throttle. It's brutal driving around town, I've been trying to stick to going on the Perimeter of the city since the highways are usually smoother than the city streets, but today I figured I could make better time through the city since traffic dies down after 9:00 am, Guess that wasn't that good of an idea.

Also picked up a new Suretrack axle that'll be going in this weekend, thanks to the anonymous TTI forum member who hooked me up!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

If I had a second car for a DD I would probably get an Element ST. Or a mini cooper S.
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

bajaguy wrote:Element ST. Or a mini cooper S.
Element ST? Only thing that's coming to mind is the Honda Element, but they don't have an ST trim. As for a mini, they're pretty nice, but they have a reputation for breaking often, expensive parts, and cramped working conditions. I do like them, but I don't think I'd want to own one from what I've seen, at least not outside of warranty.

Now, onto an update: This weekend has been blazing hot here, like 12*C-15*C. It's crazy, we sometimes have snow until mid to late April. With this warmth, I was able to change out my axle, and play around with a camera without freezing my fingers off, so here we go.

First off time to drain the trans fluid, have to save all of it since I have no idea where or if I have any extra-s left over.

While waiting for the gear oil to drain, and enjoying it's pleasant aroma, I went ahead and took some glamour shots

Once it's all out, plug up the hole again, and remove old axle with a prybar. Compare to new, looks good, and put in new axle.

Put the rest of it all back together, and double check all the bolts that were touched. Shiny new axle nut put on as well.

Now took apart the old axle to see the extent of the damage

Woops.

The gods of torque have taken back what's theirs

I've also reconsidered my cats privilege to having legs.

Although this tells a pretty fun story - *Caution* windshield is slippery

Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

In honour of St. Patrick's Day, I've made my car green

zx6r
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by zx6r »

MAN that green looks awsome!!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

* Element SC. I deserved that one.

Haha that would have made you thousands if you had caught it on camera!

Hope it all comes together soon for ya!
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Due to how good it looked in that photoshop, I think I might have to consider doing a color change wrap to play around.

I've also found this video quite entertaining with regards to cats + cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Well, it's been a while, lets see what's new. Veloster finally has a working GPS (Yay, it only took a little over a year to fix!), at least for now. Arbitration is still in process but now that the main issue is fixed, I don't think it'll lead anywhere. Dashboard has still not been replaced by Murray like they promised.

In sadder news, the Altima has finally died. It lived a long and valiant life, given it's many years of service upon this good green earth. It has not succumbed to rust, it has not succumbed to engine failure, nor did a crash take it's life prematurely. The clutch has been destroyed, to the point where you might as well row through the gears without depressing the clutch and you'd be met with no resistance.

It was unceremoniously towed home after a few night's parking on the street where the clutch transferred it's last bit of torque between engine and wheels. It's currently awaiting exploratory surgery and a tow to the junkyard.

Rest in peace you lovable rust bucket

Now, onto the main even, the Baja WRX:

I've been mulling around the idea of the new exhaust system, and I think I might have decided what I want to do for the exit. I still need to figure out what to do for a straight through 3" muffler, but that's a matter for another time. For the exhaust tips, I've been really liking the side exit, dual tip, staggered arrangement right behind the passenger rear wheel.

Corsa makes some pretty nice exhaust components, although I can't decide if I'd want to go with the classic stainless steel look, or their black series ones. Summit also has a cheaper house-branded version of a very similar tip, and there's also the Solo exhaust dual exit exhaust that's similar. I haven't decided which way to go. I think this would look pretty nice on the Baja, although it's hard to picture exactly how it would look on the car.

Probably a little better than the current beat up tip that's on there (it's scrapped a few times and now has a bit of a flat spot on the bottom from when the exhaust hung lower)

But there's always the watermelon shooter option

And now that we're at the end of my post, I'll do the usual photo dump: brought to you by trying to do something constructive with my boredom/insomnia

A ring of my own design, I like to think it's simple yet elegant. Fiance loves it so that's all that matters.

And finally, my best man's AP1 (that's pretty much an AP2 from everything he's done to it) S2000

And in very exciting news, I am now officially (partially) sponsored by Sparco in conjunction with SpeedFactor Racing!

I'm keeping the new upgrade(s) a secret for now, I guess you'll just have to wait and see!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Awesome!! Two exciting things and one exciting but sad thing (well, loosing that car will probably save you time, lol). Looks nice. I always liked the S2000.
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Lol, yeah the Altima dying wasn't too much of a surprise. It served a long life and it was a great beater while it lasted. Last little while it just turned into an experiment in deferred maintenance, haha.

Anyway...

Oh hey, look at that, it thinks it's a Volkswagen. How cute.

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE MY HYUNDAI VELOSTER?