Attachments
IMG_7941.JPG
IMG_7941.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6142 times
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

Post by starr- »

Well went through and fixed all my broken links. On a 100% related note, fuck you photobucket. Trying out Imgur for 3rd party hosting.

Not much of an update.... but

Replaced the old yokohama AT-S(discontinued) tires after only 28k miles and was able to take advantage of the milage warranty to get around 45% off my next set of tires. Giving yokohama another chance with their new G015 AT tire. On paper these things looked good with a 60k warranty as well as the snowflake symbol. Can already tell there is an improvement with snow traction on this tire, hopefully the milage holds up better.

Purchased new struts. Went with the KYB GR2's for the 00-04 outback. Really curious how this will effect ride height and handling. Interesting and informative thread about combining outback struts with baja springs (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81- ... wagon.html) if you are curious. I'm also going to make a set of 1" strut spacers to give it an extra inch of lift at the time of instal.

No car picture but here is a suppper amazing phone pic while skiing Mt. Hood Meadows last week with Mt. Jefferson in the distance!
rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

No car picture but here is an amazing phone pic while skiing Mt. Hood Meadows last week with Mt. Jefferson in the distance!
Man I miss living in the Portland area!!
Rich
'06 Baja, Black, 1" Lift, 215/65 Generals
'18 Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Got around to installing all four 00-04 outback KYB GR2 struts and 1" DIY spacers last weekend. What a pain in the ass that was! Thank god for youtube, air tools, and pb blaster.
Let me once again say and now confirm that 00-04 outback struts do not lower bajas. The distance between the knuckle / hub to the bottom spring perch is exactly the same. The only difference I noticed was on the rear struts where the piston had about .5" less travel (the fronts could be like this too) but this only means that your baja springs are just going to have some extra preload on them which will make the rear end feel a little stiffer and take more weight to sag the same amount with baja struts. Ride quality was greatly improved compared to the standard stock setup -- and keep in mind this is my third baja. After adding the 1" spacers I gained a full 1.75-2" all around. Why 1.75-2" and not just 1? I'm not sure, but i'm assuming it's due to the extra pre-load on the springs.

Now for a couple pictures after dirt biking today. (definitely less ass sag now with the bike loaded up)

bkb555
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bkb555 »

so let me ask a follow up...you said the oo-o4 OB struts did not lower the vehicle?...was that INCLUDING your 1 inch spacer blocks installed AND reusing your Baja coil springs?...the reason I ask is because you can buy a quick strut for the OB but THEN you have to install the blocks for height.....I am assuming you replaced the struts and reused the springs?..where did you find your spacers...thanks
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Correct they do not lower the baja if used with your baja springs. "After adding the 1" spacers I gained a full 1.75-2" all around."
I made the spacers out of HDPE plastic and a jigsaw (about $30). There are templates on this site somewhere.

Also - someone buy my car! I moved on to a silverado so I can haul a toy hauler trailer / camp in the back (if only the baja concept was a reality).
Price is 7k - more details can be found in the FS section.