$99 Walmart roof basket

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

$99 Walmart roof basket

Post by Takaaco »

Went and picked up a cheap roof basket from Wally world. Works ok just don't open your sunroof going anything over 30mph because the wind noise created by this thig is crazy loud.

Comes in 3 pieces and is put together with rubber sheeves to keep water from getting in and is secured with 8 screws.

Plenty of clearance

The cross bars are so thin that i had to place the clamps up on the side brackets to be able to tighten them down far enough

The only problems i see is the antenna sits up against the rack so you can hear it bouncing off the rack when you hit a bump

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: $99 Walmart roof basket

Post by BlueRu »

Takaaco wrote:The only problems i see is the antenna sits up against the rack so you can hear it bouncing off the rack when you hit a bump
Just push the antenna part-way in. (If you didn't know, it manually retracts into the roof pillar for going through the car wash, etc.)

R
Blkwolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Blkwolf »

Just bought one also will put it one once back from offshore
bearrowland
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bearrowland »

Love it!! I'm going to check for one tomorrow. Now to find something for my titanic size canoe! :D
ags0702
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ags0702 »

Follow up on the roof basket...is it holding up? Have you used it much? Happy with attachment to factory roof bars?
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

ags0702 wrote:Follow up on the roof basket...is it holding up? Have you used it much? Happy with attachment to factory roof bars?
Even with the rubber covers at the joints I was still getting alot of rust. So I took the rack apart and cleaned the rust out of the tubes and sprayed alot of WD-40 inside and put it all back together. Seems to be working fine so far.

Truthfully I barely ever use it and am concidering just taking it off to improve gas milage, then just re-attaching it for road trips.
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain