Non-standard wheels

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Non-standard wheels

Post by BlueRu »

Are there any ubiquitous (read "cheap") steel wheels that will fit my '05 Baja Sport? (On my old '82 S10, I used a pair from my sister's '72 Datsun.) I'd like a set of inexpensive rims to mount winter tires. What should I look for?

Thanks,

R
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Non-standard wheels

Post by tomato_88 »

Tons of Subarus use the same 5x100 pattern. Plenty of foresters, impreza and legacy steel wheels should be on the market. I have two sets sitting around my garage. Lol
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

Thanks. I'll start the search.

Any variation in the center hole? I ran into that trying to use old Chevy truck rims on a '92 Dodge Ram.

R
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

5x100 Subaru hubs are pretty much the same, the bolt pattern and bolt center hole are all the same between models so they will all accept the same wheels as long as the offset and tire size is correct as well as the same brake rotors etc.

Most subaru steel wheels were 15" or smaller. This may have issues clearing the brakes on the Baja as they came with 16" wheels and the larger brakes. Some of the foresters had the 16" steels and I think later model Impreza/Forster had 16 or 17" steel wheels, but they are not cheap to buy new.

You can get new 16" steels from places like tires rack for just over $50 per wheel. Also, a local tire shop should be able to source generic steel wheels for pretty cheap.
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

I got lucky and got a full set from an '02 outback from a junkyard for less than $100. That was at a u-pull-u-pay...the other yards i checked that pulled their own parts were asking over 100 each!
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

Sweet. That's the way to do it.