Will any Subaru spare tire fit Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Baja_CNY
Scoobytruck Contributer

Will any Subaru spare tire fit Baja?

Post by Baja_CNY »

Hi

I have a 2006 Baja and need a new spare tire and rim.

I was at the dealer yesterday and the parts manager told me any spare tire from a Subaru,
other than the STI, would work because they all use the 5 X 100 pattern.

I'm looking on eBay and if this is true, I wonder why spares are listed for specific models and years?
For example, there are several listings for 90 - 97 Legacy spare tires, which the parts guy said would work.

Is it true that I can use a rim and donut tire from any Subaru other tham STI?

Thanks a lot . . . . Brian
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Will any Subaru spare tire fit Baja?

Post by Benhart21 »

Can't say I have extensive knowledge of spare tires, but I wouldn't listen to that guy. Sure, they'll bolt on, but keep in mind that the Baja/Forester(possibly 05+ Outback) have a larger diameter tire than the Impreza and Legacy. Putting on a spare that has a much smaller diameter than the other wheels on the vehicle will wreak havoc on the differentials. I believe that it's something like if there's a 2/32" difference in the tread on your tires, they say to replace them or there is potential for damage. The difference between a 205/55/16(stock '02-'05 WRX size) versus a 225/60/16(stock Baja size) is about 1.7".

Is your spare missing? Why not just buy an appropriately sized spare tire?
Jommie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jommie »

Get a spare that has the exact same measurements as the 4 wheels you use.
Same size and offset on the rim, and same size tyre. If possible, try get same brand/model of tyre.

Also, if you need to replace 1 wheel, where the thread is 2-3 or more worn down, you should consider replacing all 4 wheels. The differentials does not like having different diameter on the wheels, and replacing/repairing a diff is costly.

That said - Subaru diff's seems to be a bit more sturdy that those found on AWD Volvo/Audi/Bmw's, but still wouldn't recommend trying to find the limit. :wink:

As previous poster said - default on a Baja are 16" wheels with 225/60/16 size tyre. Offset on rim should be 48.
Baja_CNY
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Baja_CNY »

Benhart21 and Jommie I really appreciate your help.

Thank you and sorry I didn't say it sooner.

I needed a replacement because mine was missing.

Got a genuine Baja tire and rim from eBay.

Thanks again . . . Brian