Versatile Bed accessories

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Versatile Bed accessories

Post by KensAudio »

So, I finally finished a 3-sided project that I wanted to brag about.
In this first shot, you'll see the planks that I cut to size and notched to fit in the back. These planks came with my house - they're some fake wood material leftover from the stuff used to build the deck. The advantage here is that it won't split, warp, or rot. I can measure them and post dimensions for those who are interested.
DSCN1032.JPG
DSCN1032.JPG (18.63 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
These fulfill my first goal: the ability to carry one or two layers of large flat, panel-like objects. You'll note the t-nuts which are flush with the top surface. This is how I make these planks serve multiple purposes. This side remains flat, while I mount hardware to the other side.
DSCN1034.JPG
DSCN1034.JPG (15.85 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
All I do is flip the first (foreward) board over, and put the rear one away. Loosen the hooks (wingnuts) and attach them to the foreward tie-down points. The hardware on top now are two bike mounts. Remove the front tires from my and my wife's bikes, and I can stand them up securely, bungee the front tires to something in the bed, and we're off for a biking adventure.
DSCN1035.JPG
DSCN1035.JPG (17.31 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
See my next posts here for more pics (only 3 per post allowed) and more descriptions.
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Versatile Bed accessories

Post by KensAudio »

Now, I've got a fore board with bike mounts (Delta Bike Hitch Pro 2 Locking Fork Mount).
Here's a close-up: Yes, I can even lock them if I need to. (I'd previously bought a set of 3 weather-resistant padlocks which use the same key; quite useful.)
DSCN1036.JPG
DSCN1036.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
You'll see another piece of shiny hardware to the left. That's a flange mount, and one of several pieces of 'speedrail'.
DSCN1039.JPG
DSCN1039.JPG (18.78 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
Speedrail is a term for the collection of flanges and connector pieces that let you use plain old schedule 40 (or 80, but not in my case) steel or iron pipe to create a frame or scaffolding-type structure. If you search the web for Speedrail, you'll start to see what I'm talking about. Anyway, I used 8 pieces of speedrail (~$70) and about 30 feet of 1" schedule 40 pipe (Home Depot, ~$20 per 10' length) to create the custom, removable rack you see here:
DSCN1038.JPG
DSCN1038.JPG (19.21 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
The four flange mounts are permanently attached (1/4"x20 bolts & T-nuts) to the two boards. The remaining frame stays intact in the garage, and can be put in place in a couple of minutes with an allen wrench to tighten the frame into the flanges. I measured the pieces out so that the crosspiece on top is in line with the two cross pieces over the cab of the trucklet. It may not look like it; the two crosspieces over the cab aren't the same altitude - the foreward one is slightly lower, so continuing that line, my piece of pipe looks slightly higher than it should.

I haven't yet needed the frame to hold up anything. Given the weight restriction of 100# on the roof rack, I think I calculated that I could carry 3 or 4 sheets of plywood safely (with respect to weight). I still have to give some thought to how the ratchet straps would best hold the sheets in place. If I recall correctly, my vertical pipes were 31", the angled braces were 38" and the horizontal crosspiece was 41 or 42". I can double check those if someone wants the dimensions.

Well, as I say, I'm just glad to be done with the project, and I wanted to brag a little. Also, I wanted to offer these suggestions to others who might have similar thoughts for their own trucklet. Feel free to ask me questions. I can try and post more detailed pics if there are requests. There are just restrictions on how many one's and zeroes are allowed in a post.

Be well,
- K
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

That's a pretty slick set up.

Just one thing, you're weight points are close to the edge so they're fine. I just want to point out for others that the manufactured decking is not meant to take that long of a span and if the weight is put in the center it will sag alot.
AirplaneTim
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by AirplaneTim »

I had thought about doing exactly the same thing for a bike rack on mine. If you've got the dimensions easilly available, it would be nice to know.
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

AirplaneTim wrote:I had thought about doing exactly the same thing for a bike rack on mine. If you've got the dimensions easilly available, it would be nice to know.
The dimensions are as mentioned above: 31" for the verticals, 38" for the angled pieces. The crosspiece may vary slightly on your (or anyone's) version, as it'll depend on how far apart the verticals, and their flanges, are on the plank supporting them. Good luck.

Somewhere I'd had photos of the rig supporting a bunch of plywood, though those pieces were ripped to 2' widths. Another trip had me bringing home more skinny plywood and a bi-fold closet door kit. Alas, those pics were on my previous phone before it was lost/stolen.

Thanks, hocrest, for the tip about the sagging. At a couple points I brought home a couple dozen sticks of 2x3. With the pass-thru open, they were stacked through and under and on the boards, and the effective 'grid' of the back of the tailgate extender. There was a little sagging, but not enough to worry about for that weight/context. Missing my photos of that, too. Bummer.
- K
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

KensAudio wrote:...I haven't yet needed the frame to hold up anything. Given the weight restriction of 100# on the roof rack, I think I calculated that I could carry 3 or 4 sheets of plywood safely (with respect to weight)....
Have you thought about switching out the roof racks for something a little more... umm.. home-made and durable? Maybe something that could hold a little more than 100lbs?
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Rizzo »

It's not only the weight pushing down, It's the force pushing out too.

What can the runners support without stressing outward?
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

PenguinSub wrote:Have you thought about switching out the roof racks for something a little more... umm.. home-made and durable? Maybe something that could hold a little more than 100lbs?
I'm not certain if the 100# limit is based on the two bars that span the roof from left-right, or a function of the runners that run from front to back, or of the roof itself (where the runners attach). So, even if I replace the left-right spans, I'm not guaranteed that it increases the max load limit beyond 100#.

- K