Ride Height Difference Between 2003 and 2004-06

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Ride Height Difference Between 2003 and 2004-06

Post by bajamudd »

Does anybody know why the 2004-2006 bajas sit higher then the 03's? If so what makes the differnece?
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Ride Height Difference Between 2003 and 2004-06

Post by sfeather11 »

Subaru raised the spring height 1" for 04-06. Not sure what prompted the change. Definitely noticeable though. I broke a rear shock on my 03 and while I had the shocks/springs out I used the opportunity to swap out all four with a new set of 04-06 springs. I measured the fender wells before and after and saw an exact 1" increase in ride height. It is a rather simple swap once you have the shocks/struts out. Simply replace the old spring with the new, no other part replacement or modification is necessary...

Peace
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

sfeather11 wrote:It is a rather simple swap once you have the shocks/struts out. Simply replace the old spring with the new, no other part replacement or modification is necessary...

Peace
I'm investigating doing this and just want to confirm since I've heard people use shock/strut/spring interchangeably meaning one component to the entire assembly.

You kept the same strut body and just changed the coil spring?
McBrat
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by McBrat »

yeah, I thought I saw that the spring part numbers were the same, but the actual strut itself was different...

a new spring will give a higher ride height than an older one with a bunch of miles on it....
'03 Baja Sport, Baja Yellow. Snuglid.
'82 Brat, custom coil/link suspension, Toyota solid axles, Samurai t-case, built ea81, 5 spd d/r, 36" swampers.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

I wondered if it was the springs. I emailed subaru about it a while back and they couldn't tell me what the difference was. So I bought a life kit, a simple 1" subtle solutions lift, but I think I will be buying some 06 springs. Thanks so much
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

McBrat wrote:yeah, I thought I saw that the spring part numbers were the same, but the actual strut itself was different...
The spring and the strut body both have different part numbers depending on the years. But I don't know what the actual differences are?
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

It gets a little weird here, according to the parts diagram (see it under the "Baja Library" library section at the top of scoobytruck.com) the rear springs do not have different part #s between the years, but the struts do. Since I originally needed to replace a rear strut, I ordered the 04-05 versions and had the dealer tech order me new rear springs anyways. As for the front, it is just the opposite. The springs DO show different part #s, the struts do not...

Anyways, for the rears I installed the 04-05 strut with new springs (ask the dealer to order 05 springs just in case). For the fronts I only upgraded the springs to the 04-05 part #. I re-installed the original struts for the front. After everything was complete and reassembled, I measured again and Bam! My baja was magically lifted 1". Am very happy with the results...

With an inch taller spring, the only difference to the shocks/struts necessary would be to adjust the travel of the piston inside the strut body. I imagine this might be a problem if you fully extended or compressed your suspension if you happen to go airborn or have a hard landing :shock: , but I drive rather normally and in the 2 years since the install, have never had a problem... I say go for it!

Next on my list is to install the 1" strut lift kit I fabbed up (HDPE psuedo-copy of the subtle solutions lift), just need to find the time to install...

Hope this helps, Peace! [smilie=666.gif]
mjcmar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mjcmar »

I am also interested in the 2004-06 lift for my 2003. I've found the most information here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81- ... wagon.html

Great, great thread - lots of info. In summary: the Baja spring parts # change a couple times between auto and manual Bajas and between 2004-2006. However, consensus seems to be that the springs are pretty much identical 2004-2006. Here's what I would order:

20330AE64A - front left
20330AE66A - front right
20380AE50A - rear, either side

As for the struts, seems like most over there are using 2002+ Outback KYBs... which correspond to the KYB parts # for the Baja struts. I've found the best price on all four struts at justsuspension.com, with discount code FOLLOWJS or NORUSH.

334448 - front left
334447 - front right
341276 - rears

I've done a lot of research on this!
2003 Baja Classic, SilverStone Metallic
  • ARE bed cover
    Tweeters
    Outback VDC McIntosh headunit/amp
    Autodim mirror
    Subaru OEM hitch