Dual-Beam Headlight Swap

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Dual-Beam Headlight Swap

Post by Evanism »

I've always preferred the higher-end headlights from the Outbacks and Turbo Bajas. This weekend I finally got all the parts together to swap the dual-beam headlights for the original single-beam ones.

Physically they fit right in, but the wiring harness for these dual-beam lights has different connectors. I wanted to make an adapter so I wouldn't have to alter the original wiring harness.

I got headlight connector tails from an on-line junkyard, and the male 9004/9007 connectors from e-bay.

I also got around to doing the clay process, polish and wax. He looks nearly new now!
Light swap1.JPG
Light swap1.JPG (142.56 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
New Lights.JPG
New Lights.JPG (116.3 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Dual-Beam Headlight Swap

Post by theluckyone17 »

I'm gonna guess the '00-'04 Outback headlights fit? I've got a snowball's chance of finding a parts Baja Turbo anywhere around Upstate NY, I'm thinking.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
mjcmar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mjcmar »

Absolutely they fit. I grabbed a 2001 Outback light housing when I needed to replace one on my 2003 Baja Classic. Identical.
2003 Baja Classic, SilverStone Metallic
  • ARE bed cover
    Tweeters
    Outback VDC McIntosh headunit/amp
    Autodim mirror
    Subaru OEM hitch
McBrat
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by McBrat »

nice! it's on my "to do" list :)
'03 Baja Sport, Baja Yellow. Snuglid.
'82 Brat, custom coil/link suspension, Toyota solid axles, Samurai t-case, built ea81, 5 spd d/r, 36" swampers.
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

Let me see if I get this: you went from single-beam to dual-beam? What prompted the change? Was it just aesthetics?

The reason I ask is that my '03 non-turbo has a dual beam system, and I've always thought that the low-beam performance was a bit lacking. i.e. they seem dim, and not aimed perfectly. I've been recalling recently that I used to have an 80's GL sedan with a similar trait. I've noticed better low-beam performance from a Ford and a Toyota.

My lamps are relatively new (and have been changed a few times over the last few years for unknown failure reasons). Sylvania Silver. I was just wondering if you noticed any difference in brightness, or aim, for either the high or low-beams. How do the headlights get aimed?

I'm planning on (eventually) treating the lenses to clear them up, but they don't look like that's the whole issue with mine. Any suggestions anyone? Any similar observations?
Thanks,
- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

you're right about the lack of brightness of our Bajas, they really suck. I installed the high end silvania's and it helped but not convinced. If I were you, just get new lenses on ebay because those polishing kits is a bunch of bull. they will look almost shiny when it's done but it won't last at all. Once the sun hits it for a couple of days, they will go back to there yellowish film. I tried it already. I would save up for a year or so and get them new or check on ebay to see any good used ones. In my opinion, his change of headlamps was aesthetic because they are wayyy nicer than the single headlamp.
Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Evanism »

Yup, the change was at least 90% aesthetic. The old ones were getting cloudy so I figured I'd 'upgrade' when replacing them.
I bought a Fiat as my commuter car so I haven't used the Baja much and when I have, it's been pretty light out. I do know I'll have to check the aim as the two came from different places.
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
TLOC
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by TLOC »

Any chance you might provide more detail in wiring the dual beam to a single beam? Thank you in advance...
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

baja_gernaut wrote:... If I were you, just get new lenses on ebay because those polishing kits is a bunch of bull. they will look almost shiny when it's done but it won't last at all. Once the sun hits it for a couple of days, they will go back to there yellowish film...
After you've finished polishing, make sure the lens is dry. Then give it a few coats of UV resistant clear topcoat. That should keep the plastic from oxidizing, and protect it from the sun.

I did the headlights on my '97 OBW, and it lasts a few years until I sold it, without any sign of yellowing.

I plan on doing this swap soon. My right headlight assembly has water in it, which might explain why it keeps blowing lamps. Literally. I'm on my third replacement in as many weeks, since the lamps keep physically breaking and sending glass bouncing around the assembly.

Did the daytime running lights work fine after the swap? I remember reading somewhere about a lower voltage being supplied at the lamp for DRL, and the dual beam setup not liking it, inducing flickering.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

TLOC wrote:Any chance you might provide more detail in wiring the dual beam to a single beam? Thank you in advance...
I just finished mine. It was crazy easy. The headlights match up perfectly, same shape and size, so they mount the same way.

The wiring is just as easy. Look here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=8 . I quote:
On BOTH headlight assemblies the RED wire is used to provide a ground to complete the HIGH BEAM circuit.

On BOTH headlight assemblies the YELLOW/BLUE wire is used to provide a ground to complete the LOW BEAM circuit.

On BOTH headlights the third wire is the hot wire from the fuse box.

On the left headlight the Red/Blue wire is the hot wire from the fuse box.

On the right headlight the Blue/White wire is the hot wire from the fuse box
It's the same wiring regardless of whether there are dual or single beams installed. You can pick up a 9004/9007 male adapter like Evanism did in the first post: connect one side to the car harness, then wire it into headlight side, making sure each wires match. Or you can do as I did: simply cut the old 900/9007 connector out, and wire the car harness directly to the new headlight connection. Again, just make sure the wires match, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: The daytime running lights work fine, from what I've seen so far. No issues.