Rear Aux Lights

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

VTBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Rear Aux Lights

Post by VTBaja »

Just want to start off by saying hi to everyone, love this website. I have just bought my 03 baja a little while back and could not be happier with it, I'm now in the processes of trying to figure out rear lights for backing up and for when I need extra light in the bed. I want to mount two lights next to the cargo lamp and tap into the power going to the cargo lamp so they can all run on the same switch. My main question is, is this possible or will this be to much draw to use the same switch? Could I also tap into my trailer wiring harness for extra light when backing up with a trailer?

Thanks
Mike
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Rear Aux Lights

Post by Buck Rogers »

I would look for a set of lights that will take an LED bulb. That way they won't draw as much. I replaced my cargo bulbs with white LEDs, and they are "wicked" bright. Check out this site for bulbs "superbrightleds.com"

Buck
VTBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by VTBaja »

Thanks Buck the LEDs are a good idea to replace the cargo lamp with. But what i am trying to do is add lights one on each side, mounted through the plastic housing. I want to just use the power and the same switch for the cargo lamp. Similarly I wanted to mount two small lights on my trailer hitch and just connect the power right to the trailer wiring, so when i throw it into reverse the lights come on.

Mike
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

Happen to have the roof mounted sport lights? You could tap into the power for these, mount them on the rear luaggage bar, and point them rearwards over the bed?? The Baja is prewired for these. I recall the power tap being in the top right corner of the rear window. Just a thought...

Peace!
VTBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by VTBaja »

I like the idea of tapping into the power source for the sport lights, however how do i find the wires? i removed all the screw on the top then just remove that whole section with the cargo light and the wires should be there? also where is the switch for these lights?

mike
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

You have to take the inner panel on the paaseger side of the bed to remove the top side cover to remvoe the cover going to the cargoe light housing then you can take the cargo light housing off, it all over laps. It took me about 20-30 min. to take it all off and the plug for the sport activity lights is right there in plain sight. The switch you must buy sepertately with the lights. It replaced the small bottom storage compartment in the ceter console in under the head unit.