Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by Skemcin »

baja_gernaut wrote:That black powder coat is going to look good on the car. Now that the bar is in progress, I need to start shopping around for some lamps that won't look to big for the car and functional.
\

Big thanx to Cosmictech for his contribution. Thank you.
I like the HELLA 500 series - the 700 series doesn't look to bad either. If I could afford them, I would choose the HELLA Black Magic. And yes, a good thank you do Cosmictech for the help.

I think there are two questions I've not replied to:
  • Tow Hook - I do not have a picture of one on the Baja bar yet, but it will be just like the Impreza. We could look into putting a D ring on the bar
  • Skid plate bolts - we will not be using allen heads, we will be using standard hex heads from here on out
I think I need three more options choices from those who have left deposits. There are also four how verbally committed that have not made deposits yet. I'll be in touch with you individually, but if there are questions or concerns please ask.

Thanks
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by das_fool »

been drooling over the pics....nice.

Got a few questions. In VA, front license plates are required. It looks like there is room between the bars for it to display, what do you think?

Also, I'm curious about the tow hook. Didn't see any pics of the one for the impreza...
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

das_fool wrote:been drooling over the pics....nice.

Got a few questions. In VA, front license plates are required. It looks like there is room between the bars for it to display, what do you think?

Also, I'm curious about the tow hook. Didn't see any pics of the one for the impreza...
The bar will be high enough to clear the license plate. We noted that when we put the bar up on Cosmictech's truck - which doesn't have a bracket at all. but, it does have all the hole markings and plate bracket outlines - all noted.
:)

I just looked through all my pictures and can't find the tow hook image. I'll try to get one tacked on so you guys know for sure. We can do what ever you guys would prefer - a circle, a D ring, etc. But I'll work on that pic.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

## Pictures ##

TOW HOOK

WINCH MOUNT
(impreza)

more winch pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1016151332 ... GorillaBar
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

Skemcin wrote:
baja_gernaut wrote:That black powder coat is going to look good on the car. Now that the bar is in progress, I need to start shopping around for some lamps that won't look to big for the car and functional.
\

Big thanx to Cosmictech for his contribution. Thank you.
I like the HELLA 500 series - the 700 series doesn't look to bad either. If I could afford them, I would choose the HELLA Black Magic. And yes, a good thank you do Cosmictech for the help.

I think there are two questions I've not replied to:
  • Tow Hook - I do not have a picture of one on the Baja bar yet, but it will be just like the Impreza. We could look into putting a D ring on the bar
  • Skid plate bolts - we will not be using allen heads, we will be using standard hex heads from here on out
I think I need three more options choices from those who have left deposits. There are also four how verbally committed that have not made deposits yet. I'll be in touch with you individually, but if there are questions or concerns please ask.

Thanks
Who else wants to beef up the Baja? As every baja owner knows, it's hard to come by a fabricator who dares to fab up stuff for our Baja. I know that I have waited 3 years to beef up my beast so it's now or never on a solid bar rather than the other light bar that is available. The more peeps on this group buy the better.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Light Bar Shipping

Post by Skemcin »

I am soliciting your help, I want to get the shipping as low as possible before I send out final payment requests - so I figure some one might have more knowledge on this matter.

I got a PM about an option that I will follow up on tonight. Here is what you have:

A package that is 44x48x13 and weights about 30 lbs. I've been putting 50 lbs as I've found the weight (at this size) doesn't matter.

I'd appreciate anyone's help in this matter - it will benefit everyone. I've gone to UPS and FedEx - with the former being ok but the latter much higher. USPS can't do it.

Here are a couple of the zip codes in the corners of the states 94940 and 04989. Everything coming from 60451.

Thank in advance.
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Light Bar Shipping

Post by hocrest »

Skemcin wrote:I am soliciting your help, I want to get the shipping as low as possible before I send out final payment requests - so I figure some one might have more knowledge on this matter.

I got a PM about an option that I will follow up on tonight. Here is what you have:

A package that is 44x48x13 and weights about 30 lbs. I've been putting 50 lbs as I've found the weight (at this size) doesn't matter.

I'd appreciate anyone's help in this matter - it will benefit everyone. I've gone to UPS and FedEx - with the former being ok but the latter much higher. USPS can't do it.

Here are a couple of the zip codes in the corners of the states 94940 and 04989. Everything coming from 60451.

Thank in advance.
Shipping it via Greyhound will be much cheaper, but unfortunately it can take a few weeks for delivery and tracking isn't as accurate.
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

this is my quote to New Jersey so far. I recently purchased a fiberglass bed tonneau cover from the state of Texas and I paid around 100 as well for shipping. The cover weighed about 40 pounds

UPS

Days In Transit: 1 Schedule by
2:00 P.M.
Saturday
March 3, 2012 Billable Weight:
30.0 lbs.
UPS 2nd Day Air® 3:00 P.M.
Saturday
March 3, 2012
By End of Day,
Tuesday
March 6, 2012 99.12 USD *
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

baja_gernaut wrote:this is my quote to New Jersey so far. I recently purchased a fiberglass bed tonneau cover from the state of Texas and I paid around 100 as well for shipping. The cover weighed about 40 pounds

UPS

Days In Transit: 1 Schedule by
2:00 P.M.
Saturday
March 3, 2012 Billable Weight:
30.0 lbs.
UPS 2nd Day Air® 3:00 P.M.
Saturday
March 3, 2012
By End of Day,
Tuesday
March 6, 2012 99.12 USD *
The only difference is our box dimension - a tonneau cover is flat and can be shipped in what is called a picture frame box. The light bar has the top hoop that makes for an oddly shaped box and that height is what we get hit with. I've got to call Freight Center back to see what they can do but their quotes were high too.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

## IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ ##

I've gotten all the options from those who have left deposits - except one person whom I have e-mailed.

NOTE 1
I will be sending out final payment requests tonight. Shipping will be FedEx Ground - but I am working through some contacts to work out alternatives and there is one other possibility that might save alot on shipping. Whatever the case, you will be refunded any difference accordingly. If you have not submitted a commercial address for shipping, you might have to travel to the FedEx depot to pick up your bar.

NOTE 2
For those who have verbally committed but have not submitted a deposit, I will contact you to find out your level of intent. The order for material will be purchased at the end of the week so I will need to know who else is "in" for this build. I do not know when the next build will take place as I will need a min. of 5 orders to initiate another build.

NOTE 3
Also, for those who are ordering winches - please let me know if you have already ordered and/or received yours or if you need to purchase one. I just finalized arrangements to get the winches at a wholesale rate and I can include them with your bar - I just need to know who needs them.

Please let me know if there are any questions/concerns.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Just to point it out again, if you want to reserve your bar with this production run you will need to at the very least make your $200 deposit by this Friday. You're final payment will be needed in another week or so - but without a deposit I am not able to order enough material.
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

Production is getting close [smilie=666.gif]
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

baja_gernaut wrote:Production is getting close [smilie=666.gif]
Yes it is.

Material will be order Friday or Monday.
maczapit
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by maczapit »

greetings to all!

Anybody buying one of these light bars in the San Antonio Area....and want to share shipping to Gillman Subaru (NE side of San Antonio)?

I will be stopping by Gillman to make sure that they will accept this package when it comes in - since they will be doing my install.

And a Question for all.....

Has anybody added any extra lights on a Subaru Baja...have you had to upgrade you alternator or anything else electrical? I get the feeling that the stock alternator on my 2005 Turbo Baja is barely keeping up with the stock lights and upgraded stereo (head only). Any suggestions on upgrading alternator...so that I don't start popping all my current (circa 2005) light bulbs?

Barely keeping up with stock equipment = stopped at idle with all lights + driving lights on....and lights dim and brighten....visibly. They go visibly dim for a second or two then back to full brightness.....

Thanks in advance for any/all advice......

-MacZapIt
koehlean
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by koehlean »

maczapit wrote: And a Question for all.....

Has anybody added any extra lights on a Subaru Baja...have you had to upgrade you alternator or anything else electrical? I get the feeling that the stock alternator on my 2005 Turbo Baja is barely keeping up with the stock lights and upgraded stereo (head only). Any suggestions on upgrading alternator...so that I don't start popping all my current (circa 2005) light bulbs?

Barely keeping up with stock equipment = stopped at idle with all lights + driving lights on....and lights dim and brighten....visibly. They go visibly dim for a second or two then back to full brightness.....

-MacZapIt
Maczap - I have the same setup as you but add heated mirrors and seats in the winter - and sometimes a trailer. I too see a dimming of the lights at idle although just barely. If it is greatly noticable I would question the age/function of the alternator/voltage regulator. At idle, most cars don't really produce enough umph to keep up anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about an added set of lights - I'm not. I have another set of Hellas that are goint to be put on my bar. If you are adding 5 new sets of lights I might be concerned. That being said, I don't know what the amperage of the stock alternator is so I haven't done the math.
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo 5 Sp. Good luck finding one of these. This is only one vehicle in a weird collection... all of which are ready to go!