Baja Sales Slow

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Baja Sales Slow

Post by jaxed »

From http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101417 -<br><br>Subaru's slow-selling Baja trucklet gets a reprieve - for the moment<br>YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News<br>Posted Date: 12/14/04<br><br>TOKYO -- Subaru still is deciding whether to drop or keep the slow-selling Baja.<br><br>"We'll let it go for a while," says Kyoji Takenaka, president of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., maker of Subaru cars.<br><br>He says the automaker has no plans to remodel the vehicle. Nor will it remake the vehicle on a new platform, a Subaru source says.<br><br>Sales of the Baja, which was launched in September 2002, are slow. Subaru sold 10,694 Bajas in the United States in 2003 - less than half of its annual target of 24,000.<br><br>Last year, Subaru cut the price by $2,000 and added a turbocharged version. But through 11 months of this year, U.S, sales of the mid-sized car with a small pickup bed plunged to 6,724, down 32.8 percent from the year-ago period.<br><br>The 2005 Baja's base price is $22,670, including the $575 destination charge.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja Sales Slow

Post by yellowblaze »

"trucklet"  hmmm.  Maybe that's what I'll call it...
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

[quote author=yellowblaze link=board=gen;num=1103610311;start=0#1 date=12/28/04 at 17:53:04]"trucklet"  hmmm.  Maybe that's what I'll call it...[/quote]<br><br>Perhaps a vanity plate?<br><br>TRUKLET<br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I told all of my relatives that asked what it was that it is a Suby El Camino. They got a kick out of that.
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
03ClassicYellow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 03ClassicYellow »

I was at the D/C auto show last week and they didn’t even have a Baja on display. I ask what's up the reply was" Subaru doesn’t know who they should market the vehicle to" they tried the surfer / Jet Ski folks and that didn’t quite work out.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

[quote author=03ClassicYellow link=board=gen;num=1103610311;start=0#4 date=01/04/05 at 16:27:34]I was at the D/C auto show last week and they didn’t even have a Baja on display. I ask what's up the reply was" Subaru doesn’t know who they should market the vehicle to" they tried the surfer / Jet Ski folks and that didn’t quite work out.[/quote]<br><br>I believe that, it seems the Trucklet got lost in a corporate black hole somewhere. I don't see any advertising around here for it at all.   Mike
03ClassicYellow
Scoobytruck Contributer

I have learned that Honda will begin production of their version of a Baja in 2006 . This might help sales as Hondas can be overpriced .
alecw81

Post by alecw81 »

This just means that anyone in the market now can get a pretty low price on a Baja :)  wait till the end of the month to get the best price possible (when the individual salesman is just trying to pad his sales numbers) Hopefully I'll be picking up a Turbo Baja at the end of this month. Most likely the  auto since the 5spd is a major weak point. <br><br>
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

[quote author=03ClassicYellow link=board=gen;num=1103610311;start=0#6 date=01/06/05 at 09:45:14]I have learned that Honda will begin production of their version of a Baja in 2006 . This might help sales as Hondas can be overpriced .[/quote]<br><br><br>Have you seen the concept?  YUCK!  And I think it's more along the lines of a explorer sporttrac....
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

Well, here is another automaker pondering a "crossover vehicle", tho it seems to me they are just rehashing what they used to make!<br><br>Jeep: Jeep Gladiator
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

That's  not half bad looking.  My neighbor used to have a scrambler, they wrecked off roading a couple times (they rebuilt it though)-they did it in the last time, it was rolled HARD, left on a roll back & never came back.....
alecw81

Post by alecw81 »

That Jeep is FUGLY
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I kinda like the looks, has a retro military look to it.  ::)Doesn't look like they will put a good engine in it though. It would be a natural for the 4.0L inline 6. I think that the 4.0L won't be around much longer. Probably can't get it up to the newer emission standards. Plus, it lasts too long!!
mshibata

Re: Honda Truck

Post by mshibata »

The Honda truck is called the Ridgeline and is scheduled for '06.  It'll be at the Los Angeles Auto Show http://www.laautoshow.com/2005/debuts.aspx
03ClassicYellow
Scoobytruck Contributer

A picture and more info can be found here.<br>http://automobiles.honda.com/new_models ... ected=True