Any problems with your Baja????

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

bajasine wrote: If the best acceleration comes in at 5500 rpms, that sounds like a design flaw, not at all something to be pleased with.
Sorry, but I wrote, it comes from 4000 to 5500 rpm. And that isn´t a design-flaw, but normal to a Subaru-boxer, even to a Legacy...
But the Baja is shorter geared (like the outback, yes). To the rest, I agree... the Baja ist different in some ways to other cars...
Regards
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Update,
Now up to 102,000 miles, and still goin strong. Only thing that I have fixed recently was new valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals. When I put new plugs in at 96,000, I noticed one drop of oil on 2 of the plug boots. So I just did the whole job. Only took about 1 hour, to do both sides.
Still has not been to the dealership for anything since I have owned it, and I purchased this 2003 Baja used from where I work with 17,000 miles on it. I am really pleased with it so far. Takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin, as it were.

Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

At about 18000 miles, I had a small oil leak that the dealer fixed.

At 24000 miles I had piston slap so bad that they replaced two pistons and all four sets of rings (something about this piston design rubs me the wrong way) an engine should not sound like a clatter box when its cold. I have approximately 43000 miles on it now and the slap is back, although not as bad. (I still love the car-truck though) When / if it gets loud enough to hear over the custom exhaust that I have, then I will push for the dealer to replace the block instead of just the pistons. No other real problems so far.

BTW mine is a N/A 5 speed
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Ah, the infamous piston slap. I have got that, sounds worse when cold out, below 30 degrees or so. But it has never gotten any worse, as far as I can tell. I guess that I have heard it for so long from so many different cars that it doesn't bother me.
I did an inspection on a used Chevy truck a few years ago with a 5.3 V-8 in it. It sounded like multiple rod knocks it was so bad. But after about 5 minutes runnin, it got alot quieter. So the minimal amount the Baja makes doesn't concern me a bit.
Mike
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

Replaced all 4 rotors and pads at 20,000.

Extreme vibration under heavy braking.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

In addition to the other issues ive had which were all covered under warantee, This week I had the baja back at the dealer for a driveline whine. The entire rear differential was replaced at 54,000 miles. I am really glad it was not out of pocket!
jewmont3
Scoobytruck Lurker

transmission

Post by jewmont3 »

I Just bought an 05 turbo baja a couple weeks ago. I am doing mostly city driving right now but whenever I am at higher speeds I am getting a slipping feeling. Starts at about 55-60mph with about a 1/4 of the throttle down. More noticeable going up hill. It feels like its almost losing traction but its not. Like the tranny is slipping or the converter is locking, unlocking...(its an auto). Anyone have any ideas or have felt this? Its slight, but noticeable to me.

-Mike
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Mines still going strong! I did drive it through a mini lake during our flood and found out the my right rear passenger door leaks. :lol:
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Finally I am back on the boards!!

Update, 111,000 now, still going strong. Need to do a timing belt one of these days. Other than that, nothing major to report. Pretty good for an old girl, and an early built 03 at that.

Mike
rbombard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rbombard »

I had a head gasket leak in my driver's side head with only 400 miles left on warranty. They fixed it free of charge under warranty. You'll want to watch your Baja head gaskets closly when you approach 60k which is when the warranty runs out. Especially the '03 model, I spoke to one other guy on the yahoo baja group who had the same issue.
take care,
Roger
Roger B.
Richmond, Vermont
Crickos
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Crickos »

Hit 150k on our 04. Nothing major to report, with the exception of a few of the dash lights burning out. Have noticed a slight increase in exhaust noise around 140k, but am thinking that may be due to the stock exhaust, and the gaskets (donuts) for the cat beginning to leak a bit. Time for an upgrade I be thinking :)

To plug the dealership we use once again, thought needed to have the driver side wiper replaced due to getting ripped from all the lovely ice and snow we've had here in Wisconsin lately. Turns out that the rubber just pulled out from the metal strips that hold it... they fixed it for no charge!

In previous years, wouldn't of had a dealer touch my car/truck for anything, but with age and work, the 25 bucks for an oil change in the dead of winter seems like a bargain to me! Especially when they wash the outside (as they say, for them not us, lol) and vacuum the interior.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Wow, thats nice customer service. We don't give out a wash unless you spend a ton on money, or request one when you come in for a appointment. Sounds like a very nice dealership to deal with!!
Mike
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: baja repairs

Post by steven765 »

steven765 wrote:Well turns out you can add the heated mirrors, working on the seats next.

Hood has chipped alot from all the highway miles, I might get a new one.
Pow wrote: Heated mirrors! My kingdom for heated mirrors! Has the swap process been documented, or did you have the dealer do it? I know there has been discussion but I don't recall a full step-by-step.

-Pow
Sorry for the much delayed reply

I did it myself:

I never did a step by step. It's actually really easy because it's pre wired.
But the steps are
1 buy heated mirrors from subarupartsforyou
2 buy switch with heat option in it
3 remove tweeder
4 remove inner door panel

5 disconnect and remove mirror (3 beefy screws) so use a big #3 phillips
Install new mirrors in orig location reuse screws.
4 carefully remove old switch prying apart plastic every so slightly snap in new

Verify everything works

Carefully reassemble door panels being careful not to pinch the wiring harness. I did this, shorted out two wires drove me nuts because it was under the tape so I couldn't tell it was done.

Presto heated mirrors.

Tools required voltmeter, various screw drivers, door remover tool, needle nose pliers, lots and lots of patience.

Note all the power wiring was there on my 06 sport. You may want to check that yours has the extra 2 wires in the mirror connector and they get power when you short the two extra wires on the switch (if they are there) otherwise it just became a interstingly more complex problem.

I've been poking about I would really like to have heated wipers next, but the wiring for the switch is not there. I need to take apart part of the dash and check the bulkhead wiring harness to see if it's in there. Then it might be worth doing.

I'd also like to add the lighted ignition ring too :)

Essentially I'll have all the options of a turbo without the extra fuel costs, I still think subaru was retarted for not allowing the leather package as an option on the sport.
Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Lighted Ignition ring

Post by Evanism »

I added the lighted ring to my 2005. I had to tap into the fuse box at the appropriate location, but it works just as is should, with the fade and everything.

If there's interest, I'll post some info.
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

Yes, where did you tap into? And do you happen to have the part number for the ring? Pics would be awesome.