Why are used, high milage Bajas cost so much?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Why are used, high milage Bajas cost so much?

Post by mowillie »

the title says it all. I am searching and searching, and all I find are high mileage, high priced Bajas. I can get a new car for the price of a 03 baja sport with 110K.
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Why are used, high milage Bajas cost so much?

Post by kman.45 »

mowillie wrote:the title says it all. I am searching and searching, and all I find are high mileage, high priced Bajas. I can get a new car for the price of a 03 baja sport with 110K.
Subaru's in general have a high resale value, and for whatever reason the Baja is now desirable, and rare with not many made. Seems they couldn't hardly sell them new, now they are a bit of a cult car. You should price low mileage ones if you think high mileage ones are pricey.. typically $15000+
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

Its also a rare car, I know in the southern US, or at least in Georgia right now there is only 1 for sale on craigslist and another 2 on Autotrader.
mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mowillie »

WillGT wrote:Its also a rare car, I know in the southern US, or at least in Georgia right now there is only 1 for sale on craigslist and another 2 on Autotrader.
Will-g,
i have been looking at those....only because my brother lives north of Atlanta.
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

Well then you know what I mean. It took me forever to track one down. My current one / second one I found in Tampa and had it shipped to Atlanta. I am in Boston for the Summer and see Bajas everywhere for sale. Check a website called searchtempest.com Its a craigslist search tool which searches based on radius. Sometimes you just have to negotiate a little bit as well. Most people down south know how rare the car is and will try to sell it for higher than its worth
Dragonturtle
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Dragonturtle »

I found mine at Carmax. They shipped it from TN to Marietta, GA. Paid a lot for it and wouldn't trade it for the world!
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

Bajas are all over here in OH. I change oil at my shop on 3 that are all within in a 20 mile radius of me.

Where I used to work 40 miles awaythere were 2 running around in that town.

There is always atleast one within a 100 mile raidus forsale on CL.

They do fetch twice that of an outback or legacy thouh.

People think they are worth so much becuase they didnt sell a ton of them.

But a car/truck doesnt have much place in the collector world or the dodge ramapges would be high dollar collectors.
Zardoz9
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Zardoz9 »

Don't even think you would want to compare a Dodge Rampage to a Baja.

Rampage was a POS. :twisted: , Yes I had one.

Would NOT consider letting my Baja Turbo 5 speed go.
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

I'd still have my rampage and not the baja if I could have hualed 4 people becuase the bed was WAY more useful. As it was 5.5 ft long and a full 4ft wide at the tailgate so my atv would fit without a trailer. It also got 34mpg consistantly instead of 23-26. It had 230,000 miles on it before it frst major mechanical issue which was a head. $200 later I had it back on the road but at that point the rust was pretty bad so I sold it and we started looking for a baja.

My point is just becuase the baja is "rare" doesnt make it a collectable, and the prices should in reality be lower than they are. I can get legacys and outbacks for 3000-4000 all day long but a baja is 7000+ With the only major differance being a little bed that is almost useless.

I'm not knocking the baja in anyway, its a great vehicle for us just saying the "rareness" isnt a rareness that makes it more valuable. These thing swill never be collector cars to the general public just like the rampage, brat and vw pickups are not. Each little pickup has its own diehard following.
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

kman.45 wrote:
mowillie wrote:the title says it all. I am searching and searching, and all I find are high mileage, high priced Bajas. I can get a new car for the price of a 03 baja sport with 110K.
Subaru's in general have a high resale value, and for whatever reason the Baja is now desirable, and rare with not many made. Seems they couldn't hardly sell them new, now they are a bit of a cult car. You should price low mileage ones if you think high mileage ones are pricey.. typically $15000+
Yeah the salesman at the local deslership told me when these things were new, they couldn't hardly give them away but now they have quit making them he has had several people stopping in actually looking to buy a used one.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
mattada
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mattada »

Supply and demand?

We looked for one for about a month. In the metro Phoenix area (6+ million people) there was never more than 2 or 3 on craigslist. Today there is only one, an 05 for $16k, with 75k miles.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

I went to the other coast to find mine. Shipped it from WA to NY, sight unseen, trusting the seller and the inspection done by a Subaru dealership relatively local to the seller. The price, lack of rust, and mileage were just right, and I didn't mind the aftermarket bumpers.

There was one locally for a grand less with double the mileage and rust spots the size of my fist in front of the rear wheels. There was also one a couple hours away, with another hundred thousand miles on the odometer, for $450 less. That's not figuring in the expense of shipping.

I'd gladly do it again. I love my little truck 8)
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
McBrat
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by McBrat »

I'm so glad mine came up for sale only 3 miles away!
'03 Baja Sport, Baja Yellow. Snuglid.
'82 Brat, custom coil/link suspension, Toyota solid axles, Samurai t-case, built ea81, 5 spd d/r, 36" swampers.