What's your Baja Worth?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

tcat
Scoobytruck Lurker

What's your Baja Worth?

Post by tcat »

I have a mere 66K miles on my '05 sport. I seldom keep a car for more than 5 years, and have been "looking" at what else is out there. Drove a Kia Forte HB and Honda Fit... just no comparison. What surprised me is the Kia dealer on his hard sell... offered me $14K for my Baja (towards a discounted Forte HB, $17.8K). He looked it up on his AUCTION site, they trade at auction for $9K to $15K... mine has a small scratch or two and 2 or 3 hail damage spots... I was thinking $10K, but now I think I may keep it and just fix what goes wrong. I hate the gas mileage on my Baja, but love everything else!
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What's your Baja Worth?

Post by Snorkeled »

Priceless [smilie=666.gif]
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Snorkeled beat me...I was going to say priceless as well. [smilie=coolup.gif]
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kman.45 »

tcat wrote:I have a mere 66K miles on my '05 sport. I seldom keep a car for more than 5 years, and have been "looking" at what else is out there. Drove a Kia Forte HB and Honda Fit... just no comparison. What surprised me is the Kia dealer on his hard sell... offered me $14K for my Baja (towards a discounted Forte HB, $17.8K). He looked it up on his AUCTION site, they trade at auction for $9K to $15K... mine has a small scratch or two and 2 or 3 hail damage spots... I was thinking $10K, but now I think I may keep it and just fix what goes wrong. I hate the gas mileage on my Baja, but love everything else!

As a guy that just hunted down a low mileage Baja (2006 with 52K and still in warranty until August!), I can assure you they are kinda "rare" and the price is a premium for these things. I'd say I didn't see hardly any Baja for sale less than $15K except ones that had well over 100K miles, etc..

it's hard to actually spend "little enough" to try and save money on gasoline. even a few thousand dollars will take you years to get back just based on better mileage.
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

I found several for under 10,000 in my area ( by several I mean less than 5) Some under 100,000 miles. Jus tbecuase they are "rare" doesnt mean they are worth more than an outback or something else similar.

My 84 dodge rampage was a rare vehicle and it still wasnt worth anything more than a 4cylinder pickup was, maybe evne a little less becuase it was front wheel drive.

KBB on mine for private party is still 10K, I got it for 7 from a dealer ship. but IMHO KBB dont mean anything. I would sit on for for awhile before I could ever get 10k out of it, these are not a vehicle MOST people want.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Yeah, some 'rare' vehicles are going to be worth more than others. It's all in the eye of the beholder. What do they say..something is worth only what people are willing to pay for it?

There are people who don't like the Baja and wouldn't pay a dime for it but then you have die hard Baja fans that will spend quite a bit of money for one. It's kind of interesting. [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]
beach baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by beach baja »

Snorkeled wrote:Priceless [smilie=666.gif]
mine will be paid off this year.... so mine too is priceless! :D
have no plans of getting anything else right now... about 130k miles and still running fine. replaced the clutch about 3 months ago, but running smooth still...
perfect for the beach and getting rescued sea turtles to the turtle hospital... not to include letting the pup go for rides :)
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

beach baja wrote:
Snorkeled wrote:Priceless [smilie=666.gif]
mine will be paid off this year.... so mine too is priceless! :D
have no plans of getting anything else right now... about 130k miles and still running fine. replaced the clutch about 3 months ago, but running smooth still...
perfect for the beach and getting rescued sea turtles to the turtle hospital... not to include letting the pup go for rides :)
Thats awesome ! I would love to see a picture of a Sea Turtle in the back of your Baja. Have a good one.

You make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Proud ! [smilie=666.gif]
Attachments
1325_tmnt_LG.jpg
1325_tmnt_LG.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
tsmart
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tsmart »

I bought my 2006 baja sport from a mercedes dealership in Ocala, florida March 2010. It was a realllllly perfect silver creampuff with only 17,000 miles on it. I paid $17K for it. Had the bed extender too. I bet I could get that for it right now. Especially in more mountainous areas.
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

Private owners will try to sell for 9-12,000 from what I am seeing
Dealers will take around 4-8000 on a trade in but will try to sell for 10-14,000 depending on model year and miles
MNBAJA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by MNBAJA »

In MN they are going for 12-14 but I have not seen to many sell. The demand for such a vehicle is rather low here so I don't see them selling for anything even close to that unless you get someone is already has there heart set on it.
"A SHIP IN THE HARBOR IS SAFE, BUT THATS NOT WHAT SHIPS ARE MADE FOR"
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

I have seen 8 differant bajas in Lancaster Oh, where I work including mine, in the last week.

Theres a white one with a cap
a light blue one with a kayak rack
a dark blue one
my yellow/silver one
someone elses yellow/ silver one
a read and silver one
a solid red one
and a black one with a cap
bgc
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bgc »

Bought my 2005 turbo w/leather 2 years ago for 16k. I have spent about 2k in bring it to showroom condition. I would not take 18k for it. 70k miles and running strong. I have kept it stock since I have warranty to 100k. I love my Baja.

Whether it is rare or not I will not say but I get a lot of comments on it. My only fear of it is I drive too fast when I drive it which is almnost everyday. :-)