HID headlight upgrade?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jm2unbound06
Scoobytruck Lurker

HID headlight upgrade?

Post by jm2unbound06 »

I was considering upgrading from my ol' halogen bulbs to HID's. Has anyone done this? And if so, what kit would you recommend?

Matt.
05' Baja Sport Turbo
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: HID headlight upgrade?

Post by WillGT »

I have not done the upgrade on the Baja, but did do it on my previous Wrangler. Unless HID tech has changed over the past 2 years I wouldn't recommend it. HIDs are much much brighter than Halogens and usually require a specially engineered lens for them to be focused right otherwise they scatter light around in unwanted areas usually blinding oncoming traffic. I pulled mine out of my Jeep because I got so frustrated with aiming the HIDs and went with some really nice Philips halogen bulbs.
jm2unbound06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jm2unbound06 »

hmm good to know. Are the phillips bulbs noticably brighter than the standard halogens?
05' Baja Sport Turbo
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

I see this thread has been dead for a few months, but I figure I'll add my little project to it. I bought a set of Legacy headlights off eBay and a FX-R projector retrofit setup from The Retrofit Source. A few hours of my time and I had a tremendous lighting increase.

Here's the test-fitting before I actually aimed them. Keep in mind the driveway in the pic is on a slant and I was <10ft from the door.

The shroud in the pic is not currently in the lights since they were too long and rubbed on the inside of the lens. I have another set to replace them with once I get around to it.
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

looks great, thats the route to go. Im surprised I haven't seen more aftermarket retrofit kits on ebay. For others thinking of doing this, I recommend a retrofit or finding a company that specifically makes reflector lenses for HIDs. How much did that retrofit run you If you don't mind sharing?
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

http://www.avto.bim.bg/p25402/Xenon/Bi- ... sti-H1_H7/

in my country are around $ 160 but this is only for low light. how applied the long light ?
SUBARU BAJA 2005 2.5L MT 165HP
From Bulgaria / Europe
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

I want to say the projectors, bulbs, ballasts, shrouds, and a custom harness ran me about $350, the headlights about $150 from eBay, and about 6 hours of my time to do it. Not really a beginner level project to get it done and aligned properly, but with patience and lots of test fitting to make sure the projectors were level it can be done. Alternatively, a company like Lightwerkz would charge about $700 and you'd have to ship your lights to him.
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Benhart21 wrote:I want to say the projectors, bulbs, ballasts, shrouds, and a custom harness ran me about $350, the headlights about $150 from eBay, and about 6 hours of my time to do it. Not really a beginner level project to get it done and aligned properly, but with patience and lots of test fitting to make sure the projectors were level it can be done. Alternatively, a company like Lightwerkz would charge about $700 and you'd have to ship your lights to him.
Yes but you have high and low lights? Spotlight not only a low light.Or is it bi-xenon ?
From Bulgaria / Europe
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

They are bi-xenon projectors. You connect two wires to the high beam connector and it activates a small shield inside the projector that moves out of the way when you turn them on. I don't really need high beams anymore though.

Kit I used: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=141
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Oh wow, that's sexy 8) :mrgreen:
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

take a look at this page on the subaru outback forums, some really nice retrofits for the same lights
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80- ... ack-2.html
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

great, I begin to wonder if I can not do such a change on my car. than to buy the HID kit.
From Bulgaria / Europe
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

mladen99 wrote:great, I begin to wonder if I can not do such a change on my car. than to buy the HID kit.
Just an "HID(bulbs and ballasts) kit" in your factory headlights creates a very poor beam pattern, lots of poorly distributed light and glare. The easiest way to do it well and have light output like mine would be to use something like this, where there is minimal cutting and fabricating involved. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=237
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Benhart21 wrote:
mladen99 wrote:great, I begin to wonder if I can not do such a change on my car. than to buy the HID kit.
Just an "HID(bulbs and ballasts) kit" in your factory headlights creates a very poor beam pattern, lots of poorly distributed light and glare. The easiest way to do it well and have light output like mine would be to use something like this, where there is minimal cutting and fabricating involved. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=237
n my country, Bulgaria is located much lower price.
Only this model has a bulb H7 which is a moving mechanism for dipped and main beam. I read in another forum and realized that the mechanism itself is mounted on the lens. This set of Chinese worth $ 150. http://www.avto.bim.bg/p25402/Xenon/Bi- ... sti-H1_H7/

But I do not know whether it will achieve the desired effect.
And I think to do the headlamps are on my car, and if it breaks. I dont have other lights.

Can you do more pictures?
On low beam, and high beam?
What is the light on the road....
From Bulgaria / Europe
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Hi, I ordered Chinese xenon and am very satisfied.
35w 4300K​​. slim ballast, easy installation very little ballast.
The price here is about $ 40.
Now the low beam light and very strong view is clear.
but high beams are less distracted, distant illumination, but light is low, maybe with 55 w will be better.

But definitely have a lot more light and clear views of eternal

Low

High

then the lights needed to be regulated because high lighted trees ....
Easily set up-down, but I no understand how to regulate them left right????

back of the lighthouse looks like

long axis to the right of the photo, set up and down....
From Bulgaria / Europe