Adding Aftermarket Stereo With Ipod Support

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

logie_bear
Scoobytruck Lurker

Adding Aftermarket Stereo With Ipod Support

Post by logie_bear »

Hey guys,
My girlfriend has a Turbo Baja. I think it is a 2005.
It has the 5 or 6 disc Cd changer.
Im wanting to buy an aftermarket stereo for her that she can plug her ipod directly into it.
If there is some sort of adapter that allows you to plug into the original stereo that may be better.
Do i need anything special to install an aftermarket stereo into the car or will most stereos fit right in.

Cliffs
Best option to plug ipod directly into cd player ?
Radio transmitter isn't good enough.

Thanks guys !
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Adding Aftermarket Stereo With Ipod Support

Post by jaxed »

logie_bear wrote:Hey guys,
My girlfriend has a Turbo Baja. I think it is a 2005.
It has the 5 or 6 disc Cd changer.
Im wanting to buy an aftermarket stereo for her that she can plug her ipod directly into it.
If there is some sort of adapter that allows you to plug into the original stereo that may be better.
Do i need anything special to install an aftermarket stereo into the car or will most stereos fit right in.
You can go with an FM modulator, which works with your existing unit. Find one for $50 or so. My install thread is here:

http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=387

The sound quality is not the best - compares to FM stereo or a little worse - but in my case I'd rather have the original deck in place.

Good luck.
bajaninja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaninja »

I went with an aftermarket. . .stereo has a usb port that also charges the IPOD (nice feature). No mods needed . . .stereo fit right in . . .didn't even need a kit to make it look right!
312baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 312baja »

I just installed a JVC head unit, KD-HDR60. It has a usb front input as well as a 3.5mm input for any player that has a mini-headphone jack. I really love that this has free HD radio and only takes up a single din. It fully supports most iPods, including control from the head unit itself, as well as tagging songs you hear broadcast for retrieval later in iTunes (I don't own an iPod, so I don't use these features).

The sound from the usb port is phenomenal. It doesn't support playlists, but can do shuffle within a folder then move to the next. In other words, you can structure folders/directories on your portable usb drive to be used as playlists. I just got back from a 8 hour trip and the ability to hear 15 GB of music was a godsend.

Highly recommend it if you're looking to save DIN space for mods or what have you. (FYI, it's also configurable to have 2 different color schemes to match your dash lights if you've changed the LED color from green).
djgreen69
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by djgreen69 »

i really want this sony i've been looking at: Part# MEXBT5700U; but, I'm not sure it will fit, the dimensions listed on amazon are 10.7 x 9.5 x 4.4 inches and 4 pounds (i don't think weight matters, but am not sure about that either)

the JVC you mentioned shows on amazon w/dimensions of 7.5 x 2.3 x 0.2 inches and 4 pounds (obv 0.2 inches cannot be right)

ok after measuring my stock radio those must be packaged dimensions. i think i'm gonna go ahead and get it...
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

I would say most head units are a standard DIN size, or some are double DIN, since we have twice as big of opening in our BAJA's I went with a double DIN unit. It fits perfectly, so Im sure any normal DIN size head unit would be fine.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
PatagonianBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by PatagonianBaja »

Well, clearly I'm a little late to the party, but here was my answer to the lack of USB support in my Baja. In my Baja, the USB location (lower left) was installed in the location of a dummy button. Not sure what 'premium' extra was intended to be controlled here.

I popped out the button, melted a hole with a s.iron, used a file to make a larger hole, glued in the USB port, then coated the entire mess in black felt. A little difficult to keep clean, but overall this little mod is insanely useful. Finished product looks kinda sharp. Mic for bluetoothing calls via the Kenwood headunit works great.
Attachments
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG (54.29 KiB) Viewed 10791 times
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

I don't know if this is what your looking for but I removed the cubbyhole 6 disc CD changer and mounted a plate for my Sirius satellite radio. You could mount anything you want to there. GPS, IPOD docking station, etc.

http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1507

Here's how I made the faceplate. If I had a metal brake I could have made it out of one piece of metal.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... at/Subaru/
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kman.45 »

312baja wrote:I just installed a JVC head unit, KD-HDR60. It has a usb front input as well as a 3.5mm input for any player that has a mini-headphone jack. I really love that this has free HD radio and only takes up a single din. It fully supports most iPods, including control from the head unit itself, as well as tagging songs you hear broadcast for retrieval later in iTunes (I don't own an iPod, so I don't use these features).

The sound from the usb port is phenomenal. It doesn't support playlists, but can do shuffle within a folder then move to the next. In other words, you can structure folders/directories on your portable usb drive to be used as playlists. I just got back from a 8 hour trip and the ability to hear 15 GB of music was a godsend.

Highly recommend it if you're looking to save DIN space for mods or what have you. (FYI, it's also configurable to have 2 different color schemes to match your dash lights if you've changed the LED color from green).
I have almost the same radio, just installed a week ago since I just bought my 2006. JVC Arsenal A615 unit. Has both USB and aux jack front inputs. Easiest connection for charging the phone too! The USB mode can be set to operate in iPod mode or not. My iPhone 3G likes to not be operated by the head unit, but playback is superb and easy. The changeable LED colors are great, you can set daytime and nightime colors (my nighttime looks like dash colors). I also installed a XM receiver directly to the unit. Bought everything from Crutchfield and saved close to $200 over prices and install at local shop. Hell, they wanted me to go to Best Buy and buy my own satellite connection anyway!

Installation was very easy with the thread about removing interior panels. The only thing I had to figure out was running the satellite antenna inside the car. There is a a large wiring harness hole in the cab for the rear brake lights and cargo lights. I drilled another hole next to it to run the antenna wire inside then down the pillar and along the floor.

All in all the install would have taken maybe 4 hours. But it took longer as I was running around trying to install the correct firmware for the XM interface box for the JVC unit. Should have been an easy task, but drivers on the JVC site are for XP computer system and all mine at home are 64-bit Windows 7. So I tried at work without success (work servers prolly blocked it), then went to a neighbors house and finally got it done there. That was aggravating. :evil:
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kman.45 »

PatagonianBaja wrote:Well, clearly I'm a little late to the party, but here was my answer to the lack of USB support in my Baja. In my Baja, the USB location (lower left) was installed in the location of a dummy button. Not sure what 'premium' extra was intended to be controlled here.
That is for the sport lights button.
Blkwolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Blkwolf »

I put a after market 6.2 touch screen in my suby it does everything that the more costly ones do I'm very happy with it backup cam, DVDs, radio,cd MP3 player it does it all