Rear-facing infant seats?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Rear-facing infant seats?

Post by cyphergirl »

Has anyone gone down the tricky road of fitting rear-facing infant seats in their Baja? If so, please let me know what make and model you used. The Graco Snugride seats seem to be the smallest on the market, but they're still pretty large. The SnugRide 35 will fit in the passenger side if the front seat is moved all the way forward which means no front passenger; and even the top of the car carrier touches the passenger seat. I haven't tried the SnugRide 22 yet, but it is 4 inches shorter and would probably fit with the front seat moved back a couple of inches but still not enough to seat a passenger. Unfortunately the Baja doesn't have a center seating position, so it's passenger side or bust.

We're ripping our hair out because we don't want to buy a new car over an infant seat; but we've only got a couple of months left to figure this out. Thoughts?
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Rear-facing infant seats?

Post by Thacrudd »

I had one it the other day for the first time but I couldn't tell you how much room I had as I didn't pay attention. I'll check on it for you and get back to you in the next couple days.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

I dont have it handy, but our regular old graco fit in just fine, I remember it being a little snug but nothing like moving the seat so far forward that it wouldnt allow a passenger, i think we took the passenger headrest out and it helped a bit!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

I test fitted our seat again last night and I had to have the seat 2 clicks from all the way forward. A person could ride but it wouldn't be very comfortable. My wife said there is a brand at Target called Chicco that makes smaller infant car seats and if you have a Babies R Us around her friend that works there said that they let you take the displays out to test fit them. I hope this helps!
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

ok i tried this earlier and it didn't post but...

my wife and i use both the chicco infant carrier/ keyfit car system and a "first years" convertable rear facing/ front facing toddler seat. our 2.5yr old son now rides foward in the toddler seat but after he out grew the chicco he was rear facing in the first years seat. the cool thing about the first years seat is that the headrest section detaches for rear facing duties, meaning the passenger seat in the baja can be about 2 notches from the full back position with the back of the seat upright of course and the bajas headrest up 2 clicks. my wife, who is 6ft tall is still very comfy in the front seat.

the current setup is my son forward facing in the first years behind the driver, and my daughter in the chicco system behind the passenger. both my wife and i are 6ft and the whole fam is comfortable. soon we will be getting my son a booster and my daughter will get the first years seat rear facing.