Class action suit

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Class action suit

Post by klapool »

I just received a notice from Subaru Of America indicating there is a class action suit concerning the Odometers being off by quite a bit.

Does anyone have and info on this?
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Class action suit

Post by mikey6331 »

Received the same thing. Doesn't surprise me - I noticed my speedo indicating 4-5% fast long ago.

Not a big fan of class action suits myself though. Seems like just another way for lawyers to make even more money.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

I noticed my speedo off about 2-3 mph some years ago, after I first purchased a GPS unit. I thought it might be due to the fact it was a lower priced unit, so I borrowed a very expensive one from work and got the same results, so it is obviously the car. Haven't gotten anything re the lawsuit yet, but as far as I am concerned the majority of lawyers I have dealt with are pond scum and I wouldn't have anything to do with it.
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Heh, that's exactly how I discovered it too, canuck. 8)
reddeffect
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by reddeffect »

How could you tell a 2-3 mph difference? :shock:
bgc
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bgc »

GPS gives you the correct speed. Mine is off 2 - 3 miles also.
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Yep. When the GPS says I'm going 60, the speedo reads 63 or so.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Mine is off too quite a bit from the GPS. Is there a website or contact info for this suit? I never got notified of this lawsuit, and I am not a big fan of class action suits, but I may as well join on if I am eligible to be in the class. I don't want to get a speeding ticket because of an inaccurate Gage.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
MKopack
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MKopack »

I can see where this could be kind of a pain, and I've always suspected it, but is this really something to sue over? Damn - not like it's causing people to get speeding tickets...

Mike
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

My notice came. It seems like the suit alleges that SOA has violated the Federal Odometer act and that the odometer overstates the mileage by 5%. If the suit is approved, this means the federal emissions warranty should be good til 5% over the 80,000 miles, or 84,000 miles. I am knocking on the door of 70,000 miles right now (This morning I had something like 69,800 something) of my 2003, and have already passed the end of my 6year/60K "added security" warranty.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
MKopack
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MKopack »

davecoon13 wrote:My notice came. It seems like the suit alleges that SOA has violated the Federal Odometer act and that the odometer overstates the mileage by 5%. If the suit is approved, this means the federal emissions warranty should be good til 5% over the 80,000 miles, or 84,000 miles. I am knocking on the door of 70,000 miles right now (This morning I had something like 69,800 something) of my 2003, and have already passed the end of my 6year/60K "added security" warranty.
I've got it now - I guess that makes more sense. Hadn't thought of the odometer, was just thinking the the speedo being off by itself wasn't much of a reason to sue.

Mike
Davydd
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Davydd »

Has anyone actually checked his odometer accuracy? I have a Mercedes Benz Sprinter van that also indicates the speedometer to be 5%+ higher than the GPS. However, I've checked the odometer against an accurate distance and it is correct. I've also cross-checked the distance with my Nissan Titan pickup that is right on with the GPS on the speed. The Sprinter and Titan odometers agree. That tells me the speedometer and odometer are not directly linked with the Sprinter. Could the same be with the Subaru Baja? I just bought my Baja so have had no opportunity yet to check it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

My experience with a number of cars is the same as yours, Davydd. Speedometers overstating speed have been common as cockroaches for decades. For whatever reason, though, that doesn't necessarily translate into an odometer that's similarly inaccurate.
Gunnar C Sunkler
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Gunnar C Sunkler »

I own a 03 baja and have 180,000 miles. This is the 3rd subaru and all had that 2.5 mile diffirence at 60mph. I think it might be a way subaru helps to keep us from speeding.
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

I'm told it's quite common in motorcycles, at least in the era of my '78 Honda. I wouldn't be surprised if cars typically read a little over on the speedo.

R