Baja and bikes?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

enyeste
Scoobytruck Lurker

Baja and bikes?

Post by enyeste »

Convince me.

I ride downhill mountain bikes and its time to get a shuttle truck/car. The Baja must be able to fit at least 3 bikes in the rear situated as seen in the picture below. Bike racks or removing the front wheel is not an option.

Only looking to fit 3 bikes...

Show me a picture and I will be convinced.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja and bikes?

Post by Emsanon »

You should look at the "What have you hauled" thread. [smilie=beadygrinner.gif] I don't remember what everyone has tossed it the scooby truck, but it is amazing what you can cram in the things. :lol:
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to fit three bikes back there if you are creative enough with a bike carrier, you would probably have to figure out a way to make it yourself, but that could be most of the fun ;)
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

i know cross posting is bad but this will serve your needs.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1783361

heres the direct link

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodi ... keRack.htm
Last edited by speedymatt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

cant see the pic, but a search of "bike rack" yields quite a few different threads about them. Keeping the wheel on is going to make the search more difficult, but there have been a few good ones posted on the site over the years
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

enyeste
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by enyeste »

The point of this is to load the bikes WITHOUT any sort of rack. Essentially just stringing the bikes over the lift gate.

After seeing all the pictures of bikes in comparison to the size of the bed, it looks like it would work. Now I just need to find a deal on a used one.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

enyeste wrote:The point of this is to load the bikes WITHOUT any sort of rack. Essentially just stringing the bikes over the lift gate.

After seeing all the pictures of bikes in comparison to the size of the bed, it looks like it would work. Now I just need to find a deal on a used one.
since your original post's picture is broken, we assumed you were looking for a rack, :lol: but yeah if youre just trying to fit three back there, you should have no problem.

Edit* now I see you slipped in racks aren't an option, I originally read it as a rack that takes off the front tire isnt an option.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

well good luck with that. i built and use one like i linked to with three bikes and plan to rebuild or since it only costs $30 for the materials i'll just make a new one for four in a couple years. without it i couldn't find a good way to lash down the bikes without them flopping around.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

( too lazy to look and see whom and link it and all) someone posted, I think in the things you hauled, a pic of a couple of dirtbikes in the bed with a rack for the front wheels chocked on the roof on the racks and the bikes in a "wheelie" position if you will in the bed...this to me would seem the best idea for bicycles.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

only problem is that the dirt bikes have added ground clearance and dont have sprockets hanging down to clip the rear plastics over the window. plus the op threw that all important "OR" in his post. (i missed it too) "Bike racks or removing the front wheel is not an option."
enyeste
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by enyeste »

Ahhh the broken image clears up a lot of confusion. I though everyone posting was blind since the image shows up for me.

Here's another link that should clarify how I intend to position the bikes.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... ttle+truck
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

Link doesnt help much. you have to be a member of the mountain bike site to see them.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Ah ok, I get you! A shuttle truck, as in a truck to shuttle bikes to the top of the hill. That would be why you dont need an actual carrier because the bikes will only be back there for as long as it takes to get to the top of the hill and you need something with all wheel drive to take you up the hill. OK I think we are on the same page now. And becouse I have no life, here is the picture that ties it all together.

Yes. The Baja should be just about perfect for a small vehicle to shuttle bikes up the side of a hill or mountain. You should be able to fit three bike no problem. and if you were curious here are the dimensions of the back of the cruck. Most full size pickups have a bed width of 48", just as an FYI.

Should help you make a descision a little better.

Oh and since Im dropping photos. Here is a pic of the motorcycles that were mentioned earlier just for kicks.