Would Subaru ever make a new Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Would Subaru ever make a new Baja?

Post by Ayrton Senna »

I think if a new one was made it'd be very successful. Especially considering the current state of the economy. A smaller pick up would make more sense economically.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Would Subaru ever make a new Baja?

Post by Emsanon »

I hope they make them again! I love the Baja! For now, I just have to keep mine running as long as possible, even if it means rebuilding it. :wink:
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

[quote="Emsanon"]I hope they make them again! I love the Baja! For now, I just have to keep mine running as long as possible, even if it means rebuilding it. :wink:[/quote]

Spoken like a true Baja fan 8)

I would looove to see another Baja. Especially with a 6-speed diesel.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

bnther36 wrote:I would looove to see another Baja. Especially with a 6-speed diesel.
QFT [smilie=666.gif]
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

bnther36 wrote:I would looove to see another Baja. Especially with a 6-speed diesel.
THAT would be nice! Hmm, if they do that I think I'm going to start my own mini Baja collection. HAHA! Once I save up enough money. I would have an N/A, a turbo, and a diesel Baja. Fuuuuuuuun. [smilie=upyeah.gif]
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

It would be great- but very unlikely- Subaru is one of the few car companies showing any kind success right now- and they did that by sticking with what works- modifying what needs modifying- and dumping what doesn't work- and as harsh and horrible as it sounds- the Baja was just unpopular. Subaru recognized this- and as brutal as it may be- cut the car from its ranks- Of course if Subaru every decides to venture in the truck market again- I'm pretty sure they would have an interesting offering- but I don't see it happening in the near future.
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

I really doubt it. Before they discontinued them, they were pretty adament they wouldn't be continuing to make them. If they had bothered to continue to advertise them, they would have sold a lot more of them. I don't see many Tribecas anymore either, although that makes me very happy since that horrible minivan thing took the Baja's place on the assembly line in Indiana. It really seems like they don't think they have to advertise a new vehicle after the first blitz. We traded our 03 last year at 98K for an 06 with 22K just so we could hang onto one longer. I do miss the yellow though :(
KG-Baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by KG-Baja »

I thought I read When Subaru started making Baja's they did only plan a production run of a few years. Their sales/ production did not match their original hopes (was maybe 25,00 Bajas sold in one year). Honda Ridgeline did much better than Baja for sales and Honda has announced end of that production. I think Baja was simply a vehicle designed to keep the plant running for the few years until next thing for plant. Subaru did poor with the advertising, and bad timing- if a few years later when gas prices spiked and good advertising they would have done better.
reddeffect
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by reddeffect »

KG-Baja wrote:I thought I read When Subaru started making Baja's they did only plan a production run of a few years. Their sales/ production did not match their original hopes (was maybe 25,00 Bajas sold in one year). Honda Ridgeline did much better than Baja for sales and Honda has announced end of that production. I think Baja was simply a vehicle designed to keep the plant running for the few years until next thing for plant. Subaru did poor with the advertising, and bad timing- if a few years later when gas prices spiked and good advertising they would have done better.
http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182

apparently only about 32k were made all together D:
MNBAJA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by MNBAJA »

I think if Subaru would of made it closer to a truck, bigger tires and a bigger bed, instead of just making it a long Outback with an open back they might of sold better. I know the bed size is my number one complaint on mine. I am always filling it to the brim. Personnally I think people are missing out on a very fun car.
"A SHIP IN THE HARBOR IS SAFE, BUT THATS NOT WHAT SHIPS ARE MADE FOR"
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

I agree with the above. the rear axle needs to be in the middle of the bed like all other trucks. be needs to be atleast 5ft so that with tailgate down it will be 6+, and the opening of the tailgate needs to be 4ft wide, that way you can get atv's in the back,

With the axle all the wieght hangs outback which lowers the payload.

the tail gate opening is 2" to narrow for my utility quad and the bed is 4 inches toshort with tailgate down.
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Haha... yea, it's like they made the bed just inches too short for anything out of the ordinary.