Baja Mod Status

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Baja Mod Status

Post by gifters »

Well so far I've made a few mods on my 2003 baja

The first thing I did was the rear differential protector, the Protector itself costs in the neighborhood of $65 from the dealership, install by the dealership is $40 [smilie=asa.gif] for my 2003 the total install was removing 4 nuts put protector in place, install 4 nuts, its that simple. The instructions only are for a different series of diff protectors, I can scan the directions that came with the diff protector and post them if anyone is interested.

I replaced the stock intake tubing between the intake duct and the filter housing with spectra 3" flexible tubing from AutoZone, you just need a couple 2 1/2" to 3" couplers... no more stupid boxes to disrupt airflow or reduce intake noise... still need to get a K&N filter.

Added Sport activity lights

Switch to turn off DRL in the change holder cup by the fuse box

I currently am looking to put a stock STI axel back on the baja, but the axel back has been modified from 2 1/2" to 3" tubing so I need to take it into a muffler shop and get an estimate. A coold dude on NASIOC had it sitting in his garage so I think I'm getting a decent deal on it, and then I'll have the Stock Baja as a spare.

Mods yet, front skid plate and stiffer springs.... before I get the springs I need to figure out how they change out, I don't remember seeing anything under the beds plastic side wall covers but I want to make sure I can do that before I buy the springs.

Definitely want some off road type tires, put some yellow covers on the fog lights and get some 9012 series bulbs to replace the 9006 for the fogs, and possibly add a trailer hitch as well.

If anyone wants me to post some pics or anything else just let me know.

I'm still waiting to dive deep into independent fog lights.
skullnbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Baja Mod Status

Post by skullnbaja »

I would love to see a pic of how your intake setup now looks with the flexible tubing in place. I also removed my resonators but have the holes just taped up for a temporary fix.

Thanks, skullnbaja.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

me too.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Well my Baja just threw a CEL, so I took it to autozone they said my intake O2 sensor was bad and my exhaust O2 was going bad. I think the lady reset the codes so I took it home [no CEL] and unpluged the battery for 15 min... still no CEL so I assume it could have been a fluke, I'll keep an eye on it. Where is the intake O2 sensor located? I'll try and get a picture of the intake setup tonight, it was about $35 for the intake tube and the two couplers.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

So here are the individual parts, all made by Spectre available at Auto Zone

The Intake Hose was about $17

and the Couplers (I had to do one of each because they only had one of each in black, the 3" to 3" or 2 1/2" was like $7 while
the 3 to 2 1/2 was like $6

Connecting to the filter box was a PITA but I got it done, you don't need the 2 rubber boots that come with the hose, the couplers fit right on the hose, kinda wish I got the chrome one to reflect a little more heat but the black matches the original equipment better

And the STI exhaust that I was going to put on the baja doesn't look like its going to work out because the front mounting point is in the wrong spot, I'll still go to the muffler shop and get an estimate for the mod but I probably won't get it done.
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

I'd love to see pics of the diff protector. Never heard of one of those. Post pics as often as you can, People love eye candy! No need to ask :) Post lots and lots of pictures!
As for the 02 sensors, I've only heard of upstream and downstream, not intake and exhaust (I could be completely wrong). both the upstream and downstream sensors are located on the exhaust. You can find the upstream sensor on the passenger side, plugged into a catalytic converter right when the two exhaust manifolds meet. It has a yellow wire leading to it and it's plugged in kinda on the top of the exhaust. It "sniffs" the air moving through the exhaust and adjusts the performance based on how rich it is. It's about $179.The downstream looks a lot alike, and it's just a bit further down the exhaust. Its job is to basically test for around when the catalytic converters are going bad (I THINK) It should run around $60. As for an intake sensor, Maybe the MAF sensor? There's another one that's plugged into the filter housing, next to the front screw used to remove the housing. I know that I got a CEL when I had the filter housing open and started the car. Don't know if replacing that pipe caused this or not for you. I'll check on this later and get back to you :)
Gifters, it sounds like it's really coming together. Sounds like your subies getting a lot of love it deserves
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

You're right... Its the upstream not intake... the part will get in Tuesday so I won't change it this weekend. I bought it from Sparkplugs.com for $130 shipped. Depending on how much time I have before a double date with the wife (to go see Inglorious Bastards) I'll see what I can get up.
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

I'll try to get instructions scanned for you I have on how to change the upstream O2 sensor. It's a piece of cake, but you WILL need a 22mm wrench, short if possible. The longer it is the harder it is to maneuver around. DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSOR END. It should come with a protective cap until you are ready to install.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Here are the instructions for the differential protector... pics will follow although it won't be easy to get a good angle.

Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Nice! It prolly wouldn't hurt for me to pick one of those up as well. As promised, here are the instructions to change out the upstream O2 sensor. It's in PDF format. It's easiest to get to by getting under the truck just behind the passenger wheel, and positioning yourself just under and behind the motor. Good luck my friend!

http://rapidshare.com/files/277798529/B ... _O2_sensor
skullnbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by skullnbaja »

Gifters! Props for the intake suggestion. Went down to Checker Auto Parts last week and bought the Spectre flexible intake tubing with couplers. Looks much cleaner now with the resonators gone. Thanks again for the that idea, I never would have thought of that.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Alright, I think I'm going to try that out as well. I've never actually messed with anything in the engine compartment..well, except for the battery, so I hope it's not too hard. I don't want to end up breaking my car. [smilie=asa.gif]

BUT! If it's just a matter of hooking and rehooking, I think I can do it. It just sounds too interesting not to try out.

I do have a question about the K&N filter. I was told by the Subaru dealership in my area that Baja's already come with a K&N filter. Is that accurate? I was a little confused since I keep hearing people talk about buying one, but that wouldn't make sense if Baja's already have them. Sooo, if we really don't have K&N then I'm going to get one as well. :wink:

*Edited

Well, I found the intake VERY easy to take apart but my brother in law noted something I didn't think of. The three resonators connected to the intake tube might also be good drainage areas. They all have small holes located on the bottom to allow water or whatever to drain out. I actually found a few rocks in mine, I'm guessing from when I took my Baja through a mud pit. [smilie=bunny.gif]
Since I like taking my Baja through water and mudpits, I think I'm going to hold off on installing the new intake tube I purchased. I'm thinking it might have been those compartments that saved my Baja when I took it through a flooded area with water going over my hood. :lol:

*Edited Take 2!

I decided to switch out my intake anyway since I mainly drive on the road. When I plan on driving through mud or lakes, I can always switch it back out. I agree with what everyone else has said. It does look a lot cleaner and more open with the Spectre intake.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

I'm finally going to throw in a K&N filter, give it a go at replacing the spark plugs, and I ordered the RalliTek SSI skidplate. We're starting to come together.
tsmart
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tsmart »

I really dont understand what those "resonaters" do. Whats the engineering behind it?...and...any bad effects to the motor if these are eliminated?

Are these resonaters baja specific, or are they on all those boxer engines?
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Well I'm starting to put together the plans for a suspension upgrade to get a lift out of the car.

I've gotten quotes for '04 outback king springs and kyb gr2's. - that will give a inch an a half of lift.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe for the '04-'06 Baja the rear springs and front struts are different

If I got the newer factory front strut I'd gain about another inch and then for the rear I'd have to get a spacer plate to lift the rear another inch at the mount? Has anybody raised their baja at the mount with a plate? any info would help, I don't know if Scorpion still does lift kits but I don't think they do.

What do you think?