Re: Baja Mod Status

Post by Samirr76 »

On the lift topic.....I'm thinking about these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LNG-61051/

Or these:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/twinspbo.html

Or maybe these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-1287-Un ... B000BWCFIM

Any thoughts? How hard are they to install? Seems pretty simple to me...
03 Baja 02 WRX
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Someone once told me they're not that great, cause they're not bolted on.

However, I've been looking into lifting, and here's the options I've found:

1" lift kit from Subtle solutions for bajas.
Add another 1" by switching to longer Kings Springs (primitive solutions has them for like $400, but you might have better luck looking)

Or, if you really want to go all out, there's a 4" lift kit from SRJ, but you would have to extend your steering shaft as well.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I just replaced the original plastic skidplate with a new one from rallitek. It's sooo much nicer looking and a lot more solid.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

the three resonators act as drainage points. The large box that the tubing leads to holds about a gallon of water. It is there in case you were to flood the engine compartment and submerge the intake. The water will drain into the box until full and then into the other two resonators. They saved my Baja last year up on a jeep trail, I had mud water over my hood and my engine was brown. I put a weapon r intake in my baja now, but it moves the intake entrance further back into the engine compartment so that if I were to come across deeper water I am a bit safer.
AirplaneTim
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by AirplaneTim »

tsmart wrote:I really dont understand what those "resonaters" do. Whats the engineering behind it?...and...any bad effects to the motor if these are eliminated?

Are these resonaters baja specific, or are they on all those boxer engines?
Resonator boxes are installed on just about every modern production car. They act almost like mufflers for your intake. They are tuned to damp out noise (resonance) bouncing back up your intake line from your air intake at the cylinder heads. On top of that, they act as a pressure damper for air coming into your car, giving smoother acceleration (but less) if you stomp on the gas, and reducing the effects of pressure differences at the intake area itself due to drafting other cars, wind gusts, etc, as well as acting as a catch all for water and large debris before it gets to your air filter.

The drawback to them is that they do act as a restrictor on your air intake, reducing your overall horsepower potential by about 1 to 5 hp depending on the car because the engine has to work a little harder to draw in air than it would if you had the straight pipe inlet.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

There's some research, detailed in a thread over on NASIOC (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1471819), stating that those resonators (the NASIOC thread calls it a snorkus) act to cancel out resonance from the intake valves. If it wasn't cancelled, the resonance apparently causes the MAF to freak, and spike. The ECU then dumps a metric crapload of fuel into the engine, making it run really rich (but the ECU thinks it's not, since the MAF is saying there's a *lot* of air moving past it due to the resonance).

This apparently only occurs in low RPMs (1000-1600?), though, at least with that big snorkus. Somewhere in that thread, someone mentions that the smaller resonator is to cancel out resonance that occurs in higher RPM ranges.

Edit: That's assuming you're running a MAF ('05-'06 EJ253 on the Baja, according to Wikipedia). If you've got a MAP ('03-'04 Ej251, you're ok. Something about the resonance not affecting it.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport